GDE preview video

Home Forum Troubleshooting jMonkeyEngine SDK GDE preview video

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Kirill Vainer 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Normen Hansen
    2780p
    Keymaster

Hi fellow monkeys,

to keep you updated, I made a small video to show how easy it will be getting models into your game with Momoko's great jme3 AssetLoader and the GDE.

I am currently struggling with some OpenGL canvas problems but things start to get in shape and I hope I will be able to concentrate on actual features soon.

Cheers,
    Normen

SomethingNew
    6p
    Participant

Noice! That's really slick!  :D

Kirill Vainer
    563p
    Keymaster

Wow, so easy! Love how fast jME3 loads the car at the end haha XD. Must be my import/export optimizations.
    Also I wouldn't recommend storing the project files in j3o format, because it changes very often  :| Its really best for production use (e.g when you release game, you convert all assets to j3o).

Skye Book
    368p
    Keymaster

Normen, this is looking really great!  Was that main file something stored that gets loaded up when you create a new project or was it created on the fly?

Momoko_Fan said:

Wow, so easy! Love how fast jME3 loads the car at the end haha XD. Must be my import/export optimizations.
    Also I wouldn't recommend storing the project files in j3o format, because it changes very often  :| Its really best for production use (e.g when you release game, you convert all assets to j3o).

Hopefully it'll be a bit more static come release time :D

Normen Hansen
    2780p
    Keymaster

sbook said:

Normen, this is looking really great!  Was that main file something stored that gets loaded up when you create a new project or was it created on the fly?

The meshxml file I select in the beginning is from my system and the j3o file in the assets folder was created by the importer from that ogrexml file when I pressed import. Quite fast, as Momoko says 8)

Edit: ah, you mean the Main.java, its in the Template including the box creation stuff, yes. Maybe in the future the java files in the templates do more stuff like registering loader paths etc..

Momoko_Fan said:

Also I wouldn't recommend storing the project files in j3o format, because it changes very often  :|

I dont know about this.. If we want to add editing possibilities for models it would be better to store models in the j3o-format from the beginning (easier to modify, keeps all jme3 properties). If we want people to edit their stuff in blender and import the scenes without further editing in the gde, using ogrexml files in the project and exporting those just for release would be better. I suppose both should be possible in a way.. More ideas?

Edit: could add the ogre files to a "hidden" folder in the project so that imported files can be "recreated" using the original or when the original changes (or the j3o format does ;p)

Erlend Sogge Heggen
    501p
    Keymaster

Crazy stuff! It's really happening :)

p.s. You should always add some sort of (free) music to your video; anything will do :P There's plenty of nice free stuff out there.

Normen Hansen
    2780p
    Keymaster

erlend_sh said:

p.s. You should always add some sort of (free) music to your video; anything will do :P There's plenty of nice free stuff out there.

Also sad that iMovie messed up the intro title somehow.. YouTube lets you add tracks to the movie, took the first it offered

Normen Hansen
    2780p
    Keymaster

normen said:

If we want to add editing possibilities for models it would be better to store models in the j3o-format from the beginning (easier to modify, keeps all jme3 properties).

d'oh, we have xml for that don't we? I suppose that would be compatible between versions? Kirill?

Kirill Vainer
    563p
    Keymaster

XML is almost identical to binary so no, it won't be any different. I guess I'll just try to avoid changing it. However the only time I can guarantee the format will become static is after the second alpha milestone (e.g feature freeze).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.