What is jMonkeyEngine?
jMonkeyEngine is a game engine made for developers who want to create 3D games following modern technology standards. The framework is programmed entirely in Java aimed at wide accessibility and quick deployment to desktop, web, and mobile platforms.
Who is jMonkeyEngine for?
jMonkeyEngine is not a visual “RPG Maker” or a drag-and-drop “FPS mod”. If you are comfortable writing Java code, you can rely on jMonkeyEngine as your next 3D game’s foundation. jMonkeyEngine is a state-of-the-art starting point for any aspiring 3D games developer.
- Free, open-source software (under the New BSD license) – Use our free engine for commercial, educational, or hobby game development
- Minimal adaptations for cross-compatibility – Create games that run on any OpenGL 2 and 3-ready device with the Java Virtual Machine – web, desktop, or mobile.
- Built around a shader-based architecture – Compliant with current and next generation graphics standards.
- jMonkeyEngine SDK – A complete development environment (IDE) with visual editors, integrated tools, and unique plugins.
- Complete and modular – The developer remains in power while getting all game development essentials straight out of the box.
- Full list of features…
To learn more about the dedicated community and developers behind this project, see our jMonkeyEngine Wikipedia entry.
NB: If the wikipedia entry has not yet been translated into your language, or shows considerable discrepancies to the original English version, please update!
Ready to get started?
- Download the jMonkeyEngine SDK.
It’s all set up, just create a new project and get going right away.
- Go through the beginner tutorials.
Hands-on code is the fastest and most intuitive way to get the hang of 3D development.
- Press F1 to browse code samples and documentation.
Feel free to ask questions on the community forums!
Welcome to the jMonkeyEngine team!