(December) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

To quote a great man: “I guess I’ll post this if we are going to do this for every month :)” -@8Keep123

I will kick it off this month… have been working on the lens flares for my camera rig, subtle and hard to see in a SS, but I’m happy with the progress so far :

4 Likes

ahh, yea…

I’ve added a lot behind the scenes… I have finally figured out appstates for the most part, and have a working menu system (not much to look at yet besides some buttons) and have sgold’s sky system in. I also have more stuff added in for entities and items and skills. Oh and now the player is an actual entity like enemies are (with special stuff) and I have a camera controller kind of thing that I can attach to any entity in the game. Lastly, I managed to mess up my heightmap by exporting from GIMP. i’ll just say I’m really excited for GIMP 2.9’s 32 bit channel support.

For now, I guess I have a blocky style game, on accident. I don’t want that haha.

I know it’s probably not much for most of you gurus, but its a learning process for me.

4 Likes

Oooh… ooh… I have something this time.

Similar but different to ones posted in previous months.

For those unfamiliar with Mythruna, here is that same view with a default 128 meter clip range (pretty standard for block world games, I guess):

The view up on a tower and looking down is not so impressive. (Even less so if you are flying around like a bird.)

Some time back, I added “far terrain” to the new Mythruna engine:

…which is similar to an image I think I posted before.

And while I hate to clog this thread up with one image-heavy post, here is why it’s cool for me… This is a standard view at max clip of 192 meters. At least back when I played other block games, this was a pretty generous clip distance if not the very maximum.

And here it is again with far terrain + far trees:

…and you see it doesn’t even cost that many frames… but the real difference is when I back up to the smallest clip range, 64 meters:

This is that same view with far-terrain off:

Suddenly, with far terrain on, min clip is becomes much more playable.

The effect is not perfect… I’m sure I’ll find ways to tweak it over time but not bad for a days work, I say.

P.S.: I’ll probably post some “behind the scenes” shots to a separate thread. Maybe it is interesting see all of the “looking horrible” meat that went into this particular sausage.

7 Likes

The far terrain + far trees is looking really good :slight_smile:

While working on a side side side side project, found a cool abstract AO shot :

and as reference for anyone who cares, the full render :

… and I hate @pspeed, Mythruna is looking fantastic mate =)

3 Likes

Not much to see unless you want a screenshot of my new main menu (you don’t). These are my new-ish player models. May add some blue fire round the bottom or perhaps use a cell shader.

By the way I think this is a really good idea for a monthly thread, it made me actually think about how much progress I’ve made since last month when I decided not to post because I had nothing. Plus its good to see what everyone else is doing :slight_smile: Keep up the good work :mrgreen:

2 Likes

A small gif of a brain used for only the most legal and ethical science experiments:

3 Likes
@Sploreg said: A small gif of a brain used for only the most legal and ethical science experiments:

It’s more active than many people I know. :wink:

@madjack said: It's more active than many people I know. ;)
=D In honor of jme, it was created by sacrificing those 1000 monkeys on the 1000 typewriters to make one big monkey brain.
@Sploreg said: =D In honor of jme, it was created by sacrificing those 1000 monkeys on the 1000 typewriters to make one big monkey brain.

Question is, were they on typewriters or keyboards?

This could actually give rise to the newly coined (just now) phrase “Squashing some monkeys!”

@javagame said: By the way I think this is a really good idea for a monthly thread, it made me actually think about how much progress I've made since last month when I decided not to post because I had nothing. Plus its good to see what everyone else is doing :) Keep up the good work :mrgreen:

I agree. I look forward to these threads now… and they haven’t been around that long.

Not really jME code but I’ve been learning shaders for 2D textures, a really good place to play around is shadertoy.

1 Like

This time I have something to show. I’ve recently started creating a voxel engine, and doing a kind of destructive terrain, creating some guns that players will use for shooting one another and for destructing the terrain itself :).

2 Likes

Testing level for stuff.
Showing one of the buggys, a mountain test terrain, and the networked live entity editor overlay.

2 Likes

A screenshot from one of our alpha testers, showing (again) our MapEditor. Since we are working on skills and effects right now, next month’s screen shout be a bit more thrilling :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Something from my current project. I’m hoping to release some more stuff in the next weeks :smiley:

4 Likes

Level editor. I’m hoping to incorporate some kind of challenging system in my game so people can make levels, and challenge other people to beat them and top eachother’s scores etc etc.

3 Likes

Hello monthly screenshot champs! Working on anything cool these days? Whether it’s the same thing as it was back when this thread started or something brand new, however big or small, please consider sharing it for the 2015 jMonkeyEngine showcase video:

Keep the WIPs coming!