Different materials for one object

Hi monkeys,

does j3o object support different materials for one object? I think this is very important thing. Fo example, I have got an object “House”. House has materials: windows, ceiling, floor, walls. Every material has different textures.

Does JME3 support it or will support?

There is one material per geometry, if your house has several material you’ll have to split it into different objects in blender then export it as a .scene

Are you (JME Developers) going to make many materials per geometry in future? I think this is a very very useful thing!!! For instance, ogre has this feature and all model formats has it too (obj, x, fbx, blend, ogre.xml, dae).

I don’t think so, it would require huge changes for something that is just nice to have and that can easily be worked around.

@Normen and @Momoko_Fan what do you think?

There is no such thing as “geometries” in most of these formats. Its a concept used in jME and maybe translates to “objects” in blender, which also can have only one material.

Thanks Nehon and Normen for answers. But Geometry can have many materials in blender. And geometry in ogre too. And if we have a look at quake, source, unreal, unity, so they all are able to make different materials per geometry. These feature will be very useful for lightmaps, for example.

I just did this thread http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/groups/development-discussion-jme3/forum/topic/multiple-uv-coordinates-for-lightmaps/

I just want to wish JME professional tools. :slight_smile:

When you export a blender object with many materials, it just gets split into many geometries in the files.

The end result is the same, its just that the format of the data and how its sent to the GPU is different.

In other words, you don’t have to worry about this because its handled for you automatically.

However do note that its best to use as little materials as possible because its easier to handle for the GPU.

In your house example, you want to use a texture so the window, ceiling, etc textures are all in one texture/material:

Its a lot faster to render this way.

Momoko Fan - RESPECT!!! Now I get it.

all right

a) reflections take more processing… that’s just the way it goes.

b) what the heck does this have to do with this thread? If you want to start a new topic… then start a new topic.

1 Like