InvalidEnum(1208) won't go away

I think I’m just going to go back to 3.0, then try again when I get Windows 10 (the 64 bit one of course)

When I tried to use the Dolphin GameCube Emulator in OpenGL mode, it ran absolutely horrid. Then it had a major speed boost in DirectX11 mode, but with a lot of artifacts (which have been there ever since I first started using this card, so that’s normal). I don’t remember OpenGL running so slowly. Also whenever I play Garry’s Mod, sometimes the textures will suddenly go missing, leaving that purple and black checkered pattern. Could this mean anything?

Maybe faulty hardware? Overheating? I remember that some xbox360 gave weird graphical artefacts before getting the red ring of death.

I’ve also had this enum error come up right from the very start. There are probably a lot of people having the same problem but just haven’t bothered to report it. I am using 64 bit windows 8.1 and my system drivers are up to date. Graphics card is a GForce 750M (notebook card).

Minimized? The purple and black is the missing texture texture used by them.
The engine has some notorious problems with reinitializing on maximize, so you get purpleblack skybox reflections and similar.

What could be is, that the other games have the error as well, but simple do not check for it.
JME could actually often continue to run by simple ignoreing the errors, but it is not a intelligent way of dealing with them while developing.

@alfinete & @FloppidyDingo Could you post a full log of the startup debug stuff? Maybee jme makes an assumption on supported features or similar, and this could help.

No problem … here is the log that appears as soon as jME3.1 is opened.

Running on jMonkeyEngine 3.1-alpha1

• Branch: master
  • Git Hash: c5c893f
  • Build Date: 2015-08-17
    LWJGL 2.9.3 context running on thread jME3 Main
  • Graphics Adapter: igdumdim64
  • Driver Version: 10.18.10.3960
  • Scaling Factor: 1
    OpenGL Renderer Information
  • Vendor: Intel
  • Renderer: Intel® HD Graphics 4400
  • OpenGL Version: 4.3.0 - Build 10.18.10.3960
  • GLSL Version: 4.30 - Build 10.18.10.3960
  • Profile: Compatibility
    Driver claims that default framebuffer is not sRGB capable. Enabling anyway.
    Audio Device: OpenAL Soft
    Audio Vendor: OpenAL Community
    Audio Renderer: OpenAL Soft
    Audio Version: 1.1 ALSOFT 1.15.1
    ALC extensions: ALC_ENUMERATE_ALL_EXT ALC_ENUMERATION_EXT ALC_EXT_CAPTURE ALC_EXT_DEDICATED ALC_EXT_disconnect ALC_EXT_EFX ALC_EXT_thread_local_context ALC_SOFT_loopback
    AL extensions: AL_EXT_ALAW AL_EXT_DOUBLE AL_EXT_EXPONENT_DISTANCE AL_EXT_FLOAT32 AL_EXT_IMA4 AL_EXT_LINEAR_DISTANCE AL_EXT_MCFORMATS AL_EXT_MULAW AL_EXT_MULAW_MCFORMATS AL_EXT_OFFSET AL_EXT_source_distance_model AL_LOKI_quadriphonic AL_SOFT_buffer_samples AL_SOFT_buffer_sub_data AL_SOFTX_deferred_updates AL_SOFT_direct_channels AL_SOFT_loop_points AL_SOFT_source_latency
    AudioRenderer supports 64 channels
    Pausing audio device not supported.
    Audio effect extension version: 1.0
    Audio max auxilary sends: 4
    org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Invalid enum (1280)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Util.checkGLError(Util.java:59)
    at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglOffscreenBuffer.checkGLError(LwjglOffscreenBuffer.java:98)
    at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglOffscreenBuffer.runLoop(LwjglOffscreenBuffer.java:126)
    at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglOffscreenBuffer.run(LwjglOffscreenBuffer.java:156)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
    Returning hash code of content
    Checking page id 1,387,040,574 vs stored id 1,387,040,574

Hmm … I’ve just seen that it is using my intel card. I’ll try to get it to use my GForce card and see what happens.

… A few minutes later …

Well, I can’t seem to get jME3.1 to run on my GForce card. I tried to set “C:\Program Files\jmonkeyplatform31\bin\jmonkeyplatform64.exe” and java.exe [version 8 update 60] as the executables to activate the GForce card but neither would activate it. Prolly a problem on my pc. Prolly needs HD formatting. I’ll try it on another PC and report back. This pc is an Acer V7

After doing a factory reset on my notebook pc (Win 8 [not 8.1], 64bit), reinstalling the Java 8 JDK (32 bit, update 60) and reinstalling jME3.1 SDK, I don’t get the problem anymore. However, the jME installer is 64 bit. I’m not sure if that makes a difference.

Here is the startup log:

• Graphics Adapter: igdumdim64
  • Driver Version: 9.18.10.3165
  • Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
  • Renderer: GeForce GT 750M/PCIe/SSE2
  • OpenGL Version: 4.3.0
  • GLSL Version: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
  • Profile: Compatibility
    ALC extensions: ALC_ENUMERATE_ALL_EXT ALC_ENUMERATION_EXT ALC_EXT_CAPTURE ALC_EXT_DEDICATED ALC_EXT_disconnect ALC_EXT_EFX ALC_EXT_thread_local_context ALC_SOFT_loopback
    AL extensions: AL_EXT_ALAW AL_EXT_DOUBLE AL_EXT_EXPONENT_DISTANCE AL_EXT_FLOAT32 AL_EXT_IMA4 AL_EXT_LINEAR_DISTANCE AL_EXT_MCFORMATS AL_EXT_MULAW AL_EXT_MULAW_MCFORMATS AL_EXT_OFFSET AL_EXT_source_distance_model AL_LOKI_quadriphonic AL_SOFT_buffer_samples AL_SOFT_buffer_sub_data AL_SOFTX_deferred_updates AL_SOFT_direct_channels AL_SOFT_loop_points AL_SOFT_source_latency
    Checking page id 1,387,040,574 vs stored id 0

Sure thing! Here it is:

• Graphics Adapter: aticfx32
  • Driver Version: 8.17.10.1129
  • Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
  • Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
  • OpenGL Version: 3.3.11672 Compatibility Profile Context
  • GLSL Version: 3.30
  • Profile: Core
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Incomplete draw buffer.
    at com.jme3.renderer.opengl.GLRenderer.checkFrameBufferError(GLRenderer.java:1351)
    at com.jme3.renderer.opengl.GLRenderer.updateFrameBuffer(GLRenderer.java:1488)
    at com.jme3.renderer.opengl.GLRenderer.setFrameBuffer(GLRenderer.java:1577)
    at com.jme3.renderer.RenderManager.renderViewPort(RenderManager.java:1005)
    at com.jme3.renderer.RenderManager.render(RenderManager.java:1070)
    at com.jme3.gde.core.scene.SceneApplication.update(SceneApplication.java:321)
    at com.jme3.system.awt.AwtPanelsContext.updateInThread(AwtPanelsContext.java:194)
    at com.jme3.system.awt.AwtPanelsContext.access$100(AwtPanelsContext.java:44)
    at com.jme3.system.awt.AwtPanelsContext$AwtPanelsListener.update(AwtPanelsContext.java:68)
    at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglOffscreenBuffer.runLoop(LwjglOffscreenBuffer.java:125)
    at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglOffscreenBuffer.run(LwjglOffscreenBuffer.java:156)
    at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglOffscreenBuffer.checkGLError(LwjglOffscreenBuffer.java:98)
    at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglOffscreenBuffer.runLoop(LwjglOffscreenBuffer.java:126)
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Incomplete draw buffer.
    at com.jme3.renderer.opengl.GLRenderer.checkFrameBufferError(GLRenderer.java:1351)
    at com.jme3.renderer.opengl.GLRenderer.updateFrameBuffer(GLRenderer.java:1488)
    at com.jme3.renderer.opengl.GLRenderer.setFrameBuffer(GLRenderer.java:1577)
    at com.jme3.renderer.RenderManager.renderViewPort(RenderManager.java:1005)
    at com.jme3.renderer.RenderManager.render(RenderManager.java:1070)
    at com.jme3.gde.core.scene.SceneApplication.update(SceneApplication.java:321)
    at com.jme3.system.awt.AwtPanelsContext.updateInThread(AwtPanelsContext.java:194)
    at com.jme3.system.awt.AwtPanelsContext.access$100(AwtPanelsContext.java:44)
    at com.jme3.system.awt.AwtPanelsContext$AwtPanelsListener.update(AwtPanelsContext.java:68)
    at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglOffscreenBuffer.runLoop(LwjglOffscreenBuffer.java:125)

…And those two exceptions will repeat infinitely.

I noticed that the OpenGL version is a compatibility profile. But then the profile type is core. Could that be the problem?

I did some more tests, and it turns out I was wrong. My graphics card is perfectly healthy. The screen flickering apparently only happens when GMod is running, and the random BSOD was probably some random malfunction since it won’t happen again. And the only thing on my PC that tends to overheat is the GeForce 8200m chipset, but my system will cut out if that gets too hot. And please don’t say that, my graphics card has red lights, but I don’t know what they are for since they only show during the first seconds of startup. And honestly I hope I never find out.

Does this error also happen, if you jsut start an empty SimpleApplication?

No. The project ran without an issue.

Hello,

I have the same issue on my machine too!
On a fresh install of the 3.1 alpha 1 SDK I get many exceptions with this Invalid Enum message.
The 3.0 SDK runs on the same system (Windows 7 64-Bit, AMD Radeon HD 7730M) without issues.

Any fix for this would be greatly appreciated so I can start using 3.1.

HM,

If you go trough the test cases for the display type (Canvas, Window AWtPanel ect)
Do all of them work? or does one behave like the sdk?

So … it is another one of those changes I made that caused this. Sorry about that.
It is strange that both my Intel & NVIDIA GPUs failed to detect this violation of GL spec.

It is fixed here:

1 Like

So if I were to go download 3.1 and install it right now, the issue should be gone?

They might :slight_smile:
There could still be other issues hidden. But if you could test and give feedback, that would be great.

No. it’s been fixed on master, and hasn’t been released.

Oh, i thought he meant building from git :wink:

Well, as soon as it’s released, I’ll give it a try and report back.

Could you possibly let me know when it does get released? Unless there is some other way of finding out.

It is when alpha-2 comes out and I guess there will be a big post on here and on the Main Page.

Oaky, thanks. I’ll keep an eye out for it.