(July 2014) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

Coincidence? I don’t think so [EDIT: LOL, LAPSUS HERE, I meant OF COURSE it’s a coincidence… omg facepalm]. Also, fun fact, I wanted to begin with a snake at first, but then my head exploded with F*** quaternion maths and I finally gave up in favor of implementing a much easier animal at first :stuck_out_tongue:

@.Ben. said: Coincidence? I don't think so. Also, fun fact, I wanted to begin with a snake at first, but then my head exploded with F*** quaternion maths and I finally gave up in favor of implementing a much easier animal at first :P

Use directions, not rotations :wink:

@normen said: Use directions, not rotations ;)

…yyy…eah, but then gimbal lock.

@.Ben. said: ..yyy...eah, but then gimbal lock.

No, exactly not.

@normen said: No, exactly not.

@.Ben. said:
lol ^^ You get gimbal lock with quaternions, if you use direction and up vectors you don't get gimbal lock and even when you move between the two you can avoid gimbal lock and also the extremities of the quaternion if you do the rotation gradually.
@normen said: lol ^^ You get gimbal lock with quaternions

ORLY? I seriously never came across this issue as of yet. That’s news to me. But I have come across gimbal lock issues without using the quaternions tough! Well, I’ll be sure to ask your help when I do the snake implementation :stuck_out_tongue: We’ve hijacked the WIP thread tough! Now shhhh! :stuck_out_tongue: Back to wonderful WIP game screenshots! :wink:

@.Ben. said: ORLY? I seriously never came across this issue as of yet. That's news to me. But I have come across gimbal lock issues without using the quaternions tough! Well, I'll be sure to ask your help when I do the snake implementation :P We've hijacked the WIP thread tough! Now shhhh! :P Back to wonderful WIP game screenshots! ;-)

gimbal lock happens with rotations, not directions. ie: gimbal lock = euler angles. A direction vector is relatively unambiguous except for what “up” is. Whether it’s better than a quaternion in some case is dependent on the case.

Right! I thought you were reffering to XYZ axis which also is a Vector3f but expresses a rotation in angles. My bad, of course a 100% direction vector equation cannot suffer from gimbal lock. We hijacked this thread tough.

I’m introducing my next possible protagonist. Yes, he/she is a cube.

1 Like

I’ve been fortunate enough to have a really awesome artist helping me with my main character of the ‘little’ side-project game I’m working on. (Hopefully he doesn’t mind me posting a pic of it before it’s done… but it’s really great.)

It doesn’t hold a candle to that awesome cube, though. Heheh. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello monthly screenshot champs! Working on anything cool these days? Whether it’s the same thing as it was back when this thread started or something brand new, however big or small, please consider sharing it for the 2015 jMonkeyEngine showcase video:

Keep the WIPs coming!

Can you share any shader code for SSR? I have working on it a week. But still have any bug.

@dingyf0523
You can find all code here vdef.zip - Google Drive
It won’t work out of the box, as I had to do few core jme3 modifications not included there, against random old version of trunk on top of that. But you can probably extract bits around SSR - there are in src/net/virtualmat/deferred/Reflection.vert/frag and used in DeferredLightProcessor.

Reflectivness was stored in alpha component of albedo buffer.

Thanks a lot!