Looking for volunteers to experiment Alchemist, an entity editor in alpha test

What exactly would be the “job” as a volunteer? Try out and give feedback? As I said I’m definitive interested in test that :grinning:

Well yes, it’s an alpha test. I’m looking for issues, and I need to establish the proof of concept : “Build a simple and efficient game programming interface that allow coders to focus primarily on what matters : gameplay”

Volonteers will have these missions :

• implement the game of their choice in an Alchemist project,
  • report bugs on the Brainless-Studio chat (slack) or on the GitHub issue page,
  • report issues about features, GUI, wiki, performances…
  • give general feedback and suggestion at will,
  • be patient with problems resolution ! :smile:

Of course, all of this with absolutly no obligation or pressure. Each of your report will be considered as a gift. Ideally, I would be authorized to use your work to showcase the editor at the end. Your game don’t have to be open-sourced.

And hopefully, you will find Alchemist usefull :smile:

A word about contributions :

I would like to incorporate a library of components and processors for recuring needs and Alchemist is extensible : you can plug many things to it, like specialized editors, new windows or entire plugins. I would be happy to include your things if you want to share, and if they are generic and reusable enough.

And of course, you are free to dig into the code and make pull requests ^^

2 Likes

If only I could fork myself now and create a .clone()… :chimpanzee_closedlaugh:

Is there a preferred format in which you would want any reports?

I’m interested in jme-jfx and zay-es.
So i’m definitely in.
Is that cosmovania git repo?

Remember that Alchmist is made to save you time :smile: but well… in alpha test stage, it will maybe fail in its duty :blush:

There is now such thing at the moment. But if you fill comfortable with a canvas, then I listen to any suggestion on that part.

Glad to hear ! Note that Alchemist uses InJFX code from the JME-JFX lib, meaning it’s jMonkey inside JavaFX and not the contrary. I’m not sure that we will be able to include JavaFX inside the JME inside the JavaFX, it may be a limitation.

About the repository, Cosmovania is the video game I’m working on with alchemist. Alchemist has it’s own repository, including a light version of cosmovania as a sample project, providing a bunch of exemple for component and processors.

I am writting a short wiki for you guys to start quickly and simply. I will post here when it’s ready.

1 Like

Hi guys !

Here is the Alchemist repository !

I’ve writen a short wiki to help you set up your project and I hope it will be ok. Give me an e-mail adress to be invited to the slack chat room !

Have fun !

5 Likes

Just it time for the weekend!

1 Like

Perfect!
I’ll try it out when I have some time.

Just for info:
There’s a typo in readme: where it says “advanturous java coders” it should be “adventurous java coders” as far as I know. :wink:

1 Like

Very impressive body of work! Btw, I strongly suggest you make a clean break from the methusalah/cosmovania repo. As long as GitHub identifies Alchemist as a forked project, it’ll be treated as lower priority, so you won’t be able to search the repository and things like that.

Hi there !

The repository is back on my account, and I want to give it some visibility to revive. Here is a reddit as a start, thanks to upvote !

ben

4 Likes

@methusalah glad you are back to work on Alchemist.
I recently started to use ES design in my game. This editor will be great help.:grinning:

The wiki is now available in the main repo here

1 Like

After working with Unity and jME back and forth for many years, I can tell this editor get my attention the most. Congratulations. My wish list:

• Can we extend it with some magic annotations?
  • Do you have a spec for data format of the project, if there is a saved form?
  • I will never forget the messy place Unity can be for big project and one tiny error can cause the whole project not to compile. But is there some reason somehow this editor have scripting interface to intergrate with Zay-ES ?

I have did one for myself in the past and this is much better. I’m just curious about what do you think about this topic?

Can you be more specific?[quote=“atomixnmc, post:20, topic:35137”]

• Do you have a spec for data format of the project, if there is a saved form?
    [/quote]

This chapter of the wiki discribes it. Don’t hesitate to ask questions !

I planned to create a processor that execute scripts written in javascript or whatnot. It would allow to add features without compiling the project at each change, but offers less performances and would be external to the editor (like visual studio is external to Unity)

The project Alchemist is paused now, but I would be glad to help running/enhancing it if someone is willing to work with it.

1 Like

Groovy ?

4 Likes

Sorry for long delay feedback.

Can we extend it with some magic annotations?

JME3 SDK based in Netbean platform. It’s moved from XML configurations to Annotations based recently. XML annotations is so out-of-date right now. If you can make something extends, let make it via couple of annotations in the header of a Java class, it’s fast and easier to understand and keep track of.

To compare to Unity, they also can extend editor via C# script with some annotations to hook into Menu, Tab panel or even Build processing.

Long story short: Extending is what every editor user need, if you have a good base editor and let people extend it give them an easy way!

1 Like

I’m checking it out right now! At least I will give you some feedbacks.

1 Like

I agree with that. At first, I wanted to put annotations in components to allow editor to change behavior. But I’ve been convinced not to, using java bean instead. This approach was a complete failure. I found it too heavy, hard to expand and organize for very little benefit, and I promised myself to use annotations from now :slight_smile:

So there is not much use of annotations atm in Alchemist but it is a welcome addition.

In my fast honest opinion, you look like trying to release monsters out of the box. I’m impressed.