October 2014 Monthly Screenshot Thread…

@Empire Phoenix said: Btw artur is it possible to take a look at your deferred renderer somewhere?

Not yet, but I’m trying to clean it up to make it presentable. I want to port nwn loader to it first, so I can test it against bigger range of models than just Sponza and bunch of cubes and spheres.

2 Likes

Nice work over there…
SSAO only affecting ambient light?

This screen obviously only show ssao buffer, not final effect :wink: But yes, in my current rendering setup only ambient light is affected.

When you switch it on and off dynamically, effect is quite visible, but when comparing screenshots, only courtains make look really different (in realtime, lion sculpture, foliage and wall corners are also majorly affected).

Without SSAO

With SSAO

6 Likes

looking very nice

The moment I have discovered these Monthly Screenshot Threads I have become a huge fan of it. So many nice and beautiful projects going on.

I have also been working on a horror themed game for a little over a month now. Sharing a video of the game. Hope you guys enjoy it.

http://youtu.be/zGA-6NfgWRo

K Out!

3 Likes
@abies said: This screen obviously only show ssao buffer, not final effect ;) But yes, in my current rendering setup only ambient light is affected.

When you switch it on and off dynamically, effect is quite visible, but when comparing screenshots, only courtains make look really different (in realtime, lion sculpture, foliage and wall corners are also majorly affected).

Without SSAO
Without SSAO

With SSAO
With SSAO

That’s so beauiful <3.

Is this a future candidate for deferred rendering into the JME3 core? …And maybe the screen space reflection feaure too which is :slight_smile:

I finally made some progress with my game Fearkill too. I added hands, finally implemented Ragdoll physics and made some new models.

Here are some screenshots:

2 Likes

Some video would be awesome! :slight_smile: nice work.

Thanks @iamcreasy. It’s kinda hard to get good video footage because Fraps is somehow recording everything way too dark… I gotta look into that some time. But you can see some (quite old) footage at my website.

1 Like

Drohtin - Tales of an old Kingdom
Working on some new buildings like the church. Also extended the map generator and added a new shader based skybox.

Church at the Top of the Mountain

2 Likes

Like Arthur,but less advanced, I also work on my deferred shading. Today I have a working Scalable Ambient Obscurance (SAO) ~2012 (I adapted G3D shader from sample).

sao + blurH + blurV

Arthur, do you use the Sponza from jme-testdata ? your model seems to have more details (normal map ??)

1 Like
@david.bernard.31 said: Arthur, do you use the Sponza from jme-testdata ? your model seems to have more details (normal map ??)

No, jme-testdata one is simple one - there was better one release by Crytek few years later, done specifically to test things like SSAO. It had some bugs (one texture map missing and I think one transparency setting confused) and various people have republished it with random corrections. I have done some cleanup, so I finally don’t remember which one I based it on. You can download my version at

I have modified obj loader to work better with that scene - current one is merging all objects sharing same material into one big mesh, which messes up with a lot of spatial optimalizations. Additionally, transparency handling in jme3 is missing some corner cases, so plants end up being very wrong.

but even with that, I ended up doing material.additionalRenderState.blendMode = BlendMode.Off on each geometry (don’t remember why, maybe not longer needed).

You might also want to pull

for tangent generation - without that, it takes ages.

1 Like

Hello monthly screenshot champs! Working on anything cool these days? Whether it’s the same thing as it was back when this thread started or something brand new, however big or small, please consider sharing it for the 2015 jMonkeyEngine showcase video:

Keep the WIPs coming!