[Project] RTS game engine : OpenRTS is released

Look good,

might I suggest to display the hp bars for items, that are not at full health and/or taken damage the last X seconds?

Yes you might ^^ there is tons of work to do, and GUI is one of the less achieved part.

I think that after correction of various bug on motion, tactical AI and visual effects, we will work on the map, which is quite simple for now. I’m afraid that GUI will come later, later…

A new visual of the game.

We are working on the map and landscape. According to the low poly art style, and after a lot of expreiments, we decided to generate natural cliffs procedurally, instead importing them as 3d model assets. This allow variety and “stochascticity”. The cliff shown in the picture is generate from a bmp file that only specifies level differences.

A procedural natural cliff

1 Like

Maybee an interesting inspiration for necessary features.

http://springrts.com

Hi there !

News from the RTS engine ! I’ve worked on the map editor for a while. Now the map is all made inside the editor, saveable and loadable as files, defined by editable XML definitions for general style.

The editor has four main tools :

• Cliff tool : allows to change ground level and places necessary cliffs. Many cliff’s styles can now cohabit on a single map.
  • Height tool : deforms the ground in real time (update normals and bi-normals for the texture smoothing and normal map fidelity)
  • Texture atlas tool : paint the ground with up to 8 diffuse maps (and normal maps) in real time
  • Sun lighting : Can move the sun light and the shadow caster (compass and daytime), change color, intensity, ambiant… in real time

The pencil is customizable :

• three different shapes : circle, square and diamond
  • many different apply method : rough, airbrush, noise, smooth…
  • any size
    and is contextual : snapping grid when apllying cliff tool, pixel perfect with atlas tool, etc. The pencil as a preview shape the fallow the ground deformation :slight_smile:

GUI is not very user friendly for now, but the features work fast and are efficient.

At each step of the progress, I thank jMonkey that allows anything to be quickly done and pretty nice and fast.

Here are some visuals.

3 Likes

Hi everybody !

The editor slowly come to life and we have now a simple but efficient GUI (thanks Nifty and Nifty Editor !).

News :

• editor’s GUI !
  • serialisation (New/Save/Load)
  • more tools (ramps, sunlight, units and assets placement)
  • more modes (noise, texture propagation, relief smoothing/uniforming…)
  • more fps :smile:

And we can switch between editor and game with only a clic. Every in-game data is still in XML format and can be easily patched.

Here is a video showing the terrain modeling. I hope you enjoy !

4 Likes

Looking good! Keep it up!

Hi! Is your project opensource? Because I’m thinking on writing level editor for my game too, and was thinking if I could look up your code somewhere

Hi and thanks for your interest. The project is not officialy open source but I’m absolutly OK to share algorithms, implementations and explanations, so do not hesitate to ask !

Is the basic scheme grid based or do you use navigation meshes to do movement etc.?

Thanks ! I’ll try :smile:

The map is grid based. The pathfinding is executed by flow fields, and the units’ behave is managed by a steering machine (avoidance and separation). I didn’t use the navigation meshes, but the code has lot of similarity, for what I know.

Great stuff @methusalah

1 Like

Thank you very much ^^

New visual of the engine. New video soon !

11 Likes

Pretty!

1 Like

And here is the promised video.

Hope you’ll like it, it is the result of about 300 hours of work since last august.

11 Likes

Fantastic work, so great to see what people like you manage to do with the engine!

1 Like

Really impressive. I like a lot the new visual.

1 Like

Wow, this editor looks amazing.
After so much hard work the results looks really very good.

1 Like

Amazing!

1 Like