[Project] RTS game engine : OpenRTS is released

I would advise to use the core project, since the exemple game is not stable at the moment.

You can run the main at OpenRTS-core.src.app.MainRTS.java. There you have both editor and game mode, accessible througt F1 and F2

Please open an issue on Github if you still have any complaints with this run.

About the camera, its orientation is fixed to the north. you can only translate it and zoom/unzoom.

Hey, I just wanted to say that this looks really really cool.
On my todo-list there is a mixed RTS / FPS game and for that I will definitely try your RTS framework!
I can’t wait to test your pathfinding algorithm under several conditions and then enhance it with some more features like ant algorithms etc.
Great work! My best compliments!
:chimpanzee_smile:

Hi and thanks for the kind comment :slight_smile:

The developpment may seem stoped but it’s not. OpenRTS will gain an entity system soon that is under development on another project.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions !

@methusalah Thanks for the fun project! I tried compiling and running OpenRTS-core.src.app.MainRTS.java. It run as before, but still complaint ‘Build failure: gradle run’. I am not sure if it is due to the cloning of the project. I’ll explore and tinkle my config before I open an issue on Github.

I noticed the key mapping seems wrong, the WASDQZ keys seems to be captured by the GUI panel in editor mode (or may be it was programmed as a shortcut key on purpose?). And keys WS (moving forward and backward) becomes SZ in the game mode. The arrow keys work in all modes.

Hi Hi!

Since C&C Generals (exactly the german version) doesn’t work on Win8, I had the idea to recreate this game somewhere in the future. But now… I think it’s kind of obsolete :smiley: I only saw your screenshots and haven’t played it by now, but it seems to be exactly this kind of game, I would have tried to create. To be honest, I don’t think that I would ever get so far, so it’s nice to have yours! The only thing I made so far, was a 2D-tower-defense-game from scratch, without any engine. Was hard enough… since my aStar-algorithm alone took nearly two weeks :smile:

Now I’m waiting for the download, which is soon completed. I’m pretty sure that my wife will hate me the next few days. Yes methusalah, you are the culprit :smile:

Oh, have I mentioned, that this game looks really really nice!?

Tip:

Don’t write stuff yourself, use already existing librarys. I took 3 hours for A’* to find a bds style licensed code and make it work :stuck_out_tongue: Then a few tests to make sure it is working as expected :slight_smile:

Thanks alot! But this tip comes a few years to late :smile: (at least for me). I was starting to learn java and had no glue, that there is such a cute engine like jMonkey out there. In the end it doesn’t matter. Sometimes I need to do things by myself, just to know how it works. aStar isn’t the easiest thing, but as soon as you understand what to do, it isn’t that hard anymore. If I would make a commercial game, I would surely use a well-tested library instead of reinventing the wheel. So you’re completely right!

Sorry for OT! So back to topic:
I haven’t seen my wife for the last few hours… :smile: Now that I see your game from “inside” I just like it more and more.

I must say that this looks really promising.
Last week I was searching for something like this but couldn’t really find anything same as this.
Im very interested in what the idea is of the final product.
If there is a way that I can help developing it, I would gladly do it.

@methusalah
I tried to contact you via G+, however I accidentally pressed [enter] :smiley:

Hi and thanks for both the interest and the kind comment !

OpenRTS is under development so yes, we need bodies to build it up and make it something very special.

Actually, the project is in a chrysalis : we are building an entity system and a visual data editor on a parallel project, and we plan to put OpenRTS on the top of that architecture to give it more strong foundation and scalability. Tought work but passionnating :smile:

Don’t hesitate to contact me via PM here, or at the team e-mail adress given on the reponsitory home page.

Thanks !

1 Like

Hi,

Nice Project! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
If i understand correctly this is under the MIT licence which means i can use it comercially as a part of my own Software?
Want to make a Wc3 like game where the community can make theyre own rts in a Map Editor and then upload it to a global Gameplattform (kind of like Steam).

Would be awesome, if i could use this for my own Game and for that contribute some of the RTS stuff i do in that game to the Framework.

Will be a Project using different Open source snippets to build a Game in Unity.

and i love that this is still in active Development! :smiley: Can’t wait to see what changes are still to come :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Greetings
Robin

Absolutly, it is really open source and free to use for a commercial project. The only requirement is to give credit :smile:

1 Like

@methusalah
Add me on Skype: Wietlol or HAchterberg (either of the two… icon is a green lion).
Much easier talking and sharing ideas.

Are you using Zay-ES? If not, how come?

Simply curious. I’m not Paul’s bulldog-for-hire (although that’d be a cool gig).

Yes I’m using Zay-ES and enjoying it every day ^^

OpenRTS will defintly use Zay-ES and a homemade entity editor inspired by Unity

Spoiler !

4 Likes

“real time strategy game engine” on Google shows OpenRTS repository in third position ^^

5 Likes

Any news on this project?

I’m not working on OpenRTS and Alchemist at the moment. @wuendsch was working on the portage of OpenRTS to ZayES, via Alchemist but it seems to be stopped too for now.

Both projects are open sourced, with little documentation and wiki.

Hi guys !

I’ve opened a Twitter account, for those interested to follow my other projects.

2 Likes

Is OpenRTS still being developed? Is it an active project?

From what I can find the latest updates came in 2017 or 2018. Is that right?

OpenRTS is not worked on anymore

2 Likes