1st Quarter Brief

http://jmonkeyengine.com/blog/blog/2010/04/11/1st-quarter-brief/

Your 2 cents, quarters, nickels, thoughtdrops and blurbs, we want them all! Anything you'd like to share about where jME is currently heading, do share.

very nice.

Allthough i am not very active, i want to thank all guys like erlend and co - without u i doubt that jme would still exist. Thanks for your engagement! I love to follow the posts in the forum, sometimes there are real perls in there :wink:

Regards

snare

snareoj2 said:

very nice.

Allthough i am not very active, i want to thank all guys like erlend and co - without u i doubt that jme would still exist. Thanks for your engagement! I love to follow the posts in the forum, sometimes there are real perls in there ;)

Regards
snare
Much obliged :)

Woah, looks like my little PR push yesterday is already paying off; we already got a new all time high of 1300 visitors, yay!

Hi there

I just wanted to thank the developers of jMe for doing such great work!

For me, it is the best openSource game engine available.

I especially like the new function of using jMe in Android, that gives the engine so much new possibilities.

I can't wait for the first official realease of jMe3!! :slight_smile:

Great job, guys :wink:

Greetings

kolibri7

kolibri7 said:

Hi there

I just wanted to thank the developers of jMe for doing such great work!
For me, it is the best openSource game engine available.
Awesome! I hope you've told all your friends already :P
I especially like the new function of using jMe in Android, that gives the engine so much new possibilities.
I don't want to get expectations too high while we're still just getting affiliated, but we are in touch with several developers, one currently active, who are likely to join the project as dedicated Android developers.

I can't wait for the first official realease of jMe3!! :)
Last I heard (yesterday) the first jME3 alpha will be ready as soon as a couple high priority bugs are fixed. Just as awesome is the fact that the first alpha of jMonkeyPlatform is not far behind (normen has got a big gig these days at work though).

So there's a little status update for the lot of ya  :D

Did you ever thought about founding something like a jmonkeyengine-foundation :smiley:

I think much people are grateful to have this piece of software and would be willing

to donate for it. Actually I don't have a clue what to do with that money (if there would be

any). Maybe to finance the core-devs to drive to some conferences or whatever…

We removed all of the donation links some time back as our developers are volunteered, our server is donated hardware from two different sources, and the university hosting us is having us for free… In other words, we have no expenses other than blood, sweat, and a few dollars each year to renew the domain name.

What about the jME-store? If someone buys a jme thong or cup, the money goes to us, right?

ttrocha said:

Did you ever thought about founding something like a jmonkeyengine-foundation :D
I think we've all thought of it a little from time to time, and there's been some minor discussions. This just isn't the right time for it though. I could go in depth, but look at the SimpleMachines.org project for instance. For starters, they screwed themselves over by applying a not-really-FOSS license to their software, while creating some sort of foundation (but not the good kind...) to govern the project's financial assets and so on. (much later) Along came a power struggle with a nasty legal aftertaste. The community split and a grand new fork appeared to be building up among the new developers. So far though, they've spent months figuring out all the bureaucracy, without producing any real work! Instead of just deciding on a license, typing up some code and squeeze some PR out of it, they spent precious time trying to come up with that magic team structure and legal backing that will keep them safe forever.

We just keep it free and that keeps everything a lot simpler for all of us right now, as opposed to a foundation. Should we desperately need such an amount of money that it'd require calling upon the community for support, we'd just have it sent to one of our private accounts. We've known each other for a fair share of time now and we're by no means anonymous, so it's a safe bet.

Momoko_Fan said:

What about the jME-store? If someone buys a jme thong or cup, the money goes to us, right?
It goes to me! }:-@ And there's nothing there. For the same reasons that we don't display a 'donate by paypal' button any longer, we don't advertise the old cafepress site either. If we received donations right now we just wouldn't know what to do with it... I'm sure we could think of something, but that's not the right way to do it.

I think the first thing I'd collect money for would be some major event that could greatly benefit us by having one or more jME representatives present.

Have to agree that there is no need for money here but always need for help, if we actually start to take money it looks like we dont need help because we got money :wink:

normen said:

Have to agree that there is no need for money here but always need for help, if we actually start to take money it looks like we dont need help because we got money ;)

That's probably one of the most insightful things I've read on the internet in a while.  Besides, of course, Momoko's love of jME Thongs.

erlend_sh said:
I think the first thing I'd collect money for would be some major event that could greatly benefit us by having one or more jME representatives present.

It might interesting to try out some community gatherings the way OpenWonderland (whether in Wonderland or a massive IRC gathering) has been doing it.  I've noticed that the people you generally see in the mailing list are the same people that show up to the Wonderland Wednesday developer meetings..  Its helpful to put a name to a voice/avatar

Just out of curiosity,

who are the institutions/university who are supporting JME with such donations of server space and hosting?

That is really awesome of them! :slight_smile:

That gracious host is my school/employer:  Brooklyn eXperimental Media Center @ NYU-Poly

We <3 jME