2D/3D Game using Exponential Growth Algorithm

I am planning to make a game which includes the use of exponential growth algorithm. So, basically there will be objects(bacteria) that should instantiate(?) or replicate itself and then those replicates will also replicate and so on. Is this possible using JMonkeyEngine? Is it better to be done in 2D or 3D? If not JME, what other engines can I easily integrate it except Unity3D?

This really doesn’t have anything to do with the engine. You can replicate things all you like, you can put as many entities in the engine until you break your hardware or until you run out of memory. Then it all comes tumbling down.

Really why couldn’t you do this on any “engine”.

1 Like

@delt0r I just want to know if this is the best place to do it and if its easy to do it here. :slight_smile: Is it better to be done in 2D or 3D? Thanks.

Again depends ENTIRELY on soo many details it is a question we cannot answer. Does each entity have 100 polys, a 1000 or 10000? Do you want 100 max or 1000000 max count. 3d/2d is not even in the problem domain yet.

It is like saying, i want to have a city simulator. 2d or 3d? Well that depends. It simply depends on EVERYTHING else you have not specified.

And you have said nothing at all about gameplay the bit that you know. Matters.

2 Likes

@delt0r So, I’m planning to make a game which will use exponential growth algorithm(maybe 100-200 max count).

It will be a survival shooting game, wherein you shoot these replicating bacteria while they are coming to you to attack in melee. There will be some power-ups like stronger shooting weapon etc.
It includes levels wherein every levels will be different in terms of the kind of bacteria(enemy), rate of bacteria replication, count and any other factors.

Sorry for being stupid :frowning: Please enlighten me.

For the 2D or 3D part, it really doesn’t matter if you’re only going up to 200 max. Modern hardware has come a long way, it can take the punishment. The rest really is just as simple as “for every bacteria on the world, create a new bacteria and add it to the world.” Memory management is another beast, and one I still haven’t managed to tackle considering the countless out of memory errors i run into. Hope this helped.

Nobody is stupid. In my eyes there is no such thing as a stupid question if the asker really means it. Not asking questions is a bad move.

And also, welcome to JME!

2 Likes

@FloppidyDingo I see, thanks. I’m just wondering if there is a downloadable full documentation of JME. Like this one https://jmonkeyengine.github.io/wiki/jme3.html. Thank you very much.

If you’re using the SDK, hit F1 and the tutorials pop up. It has everything you need to get started.

1 Like

@FloppidyDingo I somehow read that somewhere, but does it need internet connection? Since in most cases, I don’t have internet. Sorry, I’m in a hurry going to school. :slight_smile: :v:

Ummmmm I have no idea. I’ll test that right now.

Nope, it works offline. So you’re good :slight_smile:

1 Like

@FloppidyDingo I’ll try that later. Thank you very much!

No problem! Glad to be of help.

1 Like