2D Fractal with GLSL

Hi,

I just downgraded my computer to an ati x1650 and found out, my shader had too many alu instructions (>512). I modified my program and could successfully test it at this card. Is there someone with a nvidia >=6200 card who could test it again, please? I'm interested, if you click 6 times at the image, if the program is still working properly.

Best,

Andreas

i have a 9800 9600 GS and with the 5.th click the image gets corrupted.

Hi,

thanks for your help. I will buy a 6600 and check this out.

Best,

Andreas

When I clicked "adjust iteration", it just froze then crashed :confused:

Other than that it works really well. Impressive !

Using Laptop Vostro 1400

Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.2 Ghz

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS (Forceware 180.70)

2 GB memory

Works fine and nice until it enters "precision mode", which immediately causes "Display driver stopped working but has recovered" windows vista error, while the java app shows "Abnormal program termination" error.

Could you please test it, again?

Andreas

i still get the same corruption when entering precision mode

Now precision mode works! It takes longer than normal zooming (which is instant) but with it you can zoom much farther. This is with GeForce 8400M GS btw.

@Core-Dump: Do you have still the same problem?

i have a Nvidia GeForce 9600 GS (sorry i said 9800 earlier which was wrong)

i'm afraid so yes still problems, currently i use beta for the drivers (180.84). tho, so maybe someone else should try also.

Thanks. In the precision mode, I use 9 rgba32f textures: t1, t2, t3, t4, t5, t6, pos1, pos2 and display. So, it's working:

Step 1: calculate the actual position, convert it to the 80 bits format and write it to pos1 and pos2 (Shader 1)

Step 2: read pos1 and pos2 and calculate some iterations, display the actual step at the display texture and write the current result to the textures t4, t5 and t6 (Shader 2).

Step 3: read pos1, pos2, t4, t5, t6 and calculate some iterations, display the actual step at the display texture and write the current result to the textures t1, t2 and t3 (Shader 3).

Step 4: read pos1, pos2, t1, t2, t3 and calculate some iterations, display the actual step at the display texture and write the current result to the textures t4, t5 and t6 (Shader 3).

Step 5: repeat Step3 and Step4 until the fractal is calculated with all iterations.

What could cause the corrupted images?

Best,

Andreas

get this error on MacBook pro (weird thing is, it actually ran until I clicked the fractal):

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-2" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:675)
   at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
   at com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader.defineClass(JNLPClassLoader.java:358)
   at com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader.access$100(JNLPClassLoader.java:56)
   at com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader$2.run(JNLPClassLoader.java:298)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader.findClass(JNLPClassLoader.java:291)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:316)
   at com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader.loadClass(JNLPClassLoader.java:653)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:374)
   at Fractal2D.FractalImplementor.simpleUpdate(FractalImplementor.java:721)
   at com.jme.system.canvas.SimpleCanvasImpl.doUpdate(SimpleCanvasImpl.java:135)
   at com.jmex.awt.lwjgl.LWJGLCanvas.paintGL(LWJGLCanvas.java:130)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.AWTGLCanvas.paint(AWTGLCanvas.java:290)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.AWTGLCanvas.update(AWTGLCanvas.java:321)
   at sun.awt.RepaintArea.updateComponent(RepaintArea.java:267)
   at sun.awt.RepaintArea.paint(RepaintArea.java:233)
   at apple.awt.ComponentModel.handleEvent(ComponentModel.java:268)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4144)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3903)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:463)
   at Fractal2D.Fractal2D$6.dispatchEvent(Fractal2D.java:188)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

I assume you used Java 6, which is unsupported by Apple for 32 bit processors (best Java development environment my a**)...

I just downgraded to jre 1.5. I got no error, but the click at the fractal image did not work. I played a bit with eclipse, created the fractal jar and the click is working, again. So please, try again.

Andreas

Seems good to go here (although I didn’t play w/ it too much), and I lost count of my clicks  ; but I know it was at least five or six (got the iterations up to 1571)

screenie:

(It does seem to get kinda ‘washed’ out the further ‘in’ you zoom…)

Oh yeah specs right…

MacBook Pro 17"

OSX 10.5.6

2.16Ghz Core Duo

2GB Ram

ATI x1600 256MB

Hi,

I suggest you to disable "Adjust iterations" and decrease the number of iterations. Because there is no way to "correctly" adjust the iterations, I used a fictive formula.

Andreas