4Realms proudly presents CHAOS

Hello Monkeys, I would like to present our project called CHAOS, which is built using this awesome engine: jME3. First of all, I wish to thank both th
[See the full post at: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/2013/04/4realms-proudly-presents-chaos/]

16 Likes

:open_mouth:
brilliant!
nice work!

Wow, this looks fancy already =)

yeh congrats :slight_smile: nice effects, sounds, gui and animations!! coming together nicely

Looking good.

Really nice!

Congrats :smiley:

Awesome, nice work! I hope you don’t mind appearing in the jME release video? :slight_smile:

1 Like
@normen said: Awesome, nice work! I hope you don't mind appearing in the jME release video? :)

Of course not ! :amused:

Btw I have already submitted a video a few months ago, when JME asked developers to share some work.
But a lot of updates have been done, and I could send something newer if needed.
Just let me know !

@normen said: Awesome, nice work! I hope you don't mind appearing in the jME release video? :)

Hows that video going btw? I can probably get you 2/3 more clips of stuff if you want, assuming I can find any time between jacking off and watching Storage Wars

Bummer… I can’t seem to view any of the videos you have posted on YouTube =(

This look fun! Any fullsize images to browse? None of the thumbs are clickable.

@t0neg0d You can find some (olders) pics here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very good work. How long are you guys working on this?

@ceiphren the project has been started at the begining of year 2012. We are 4, working on our free time.

Say, how did you guys approach networking?

• Were you familiar with writing networking code before deciding to write a networked game?
  • Were our tutorials helpful?
  • What do you think we could add to our help section to make networking easier, if anything?

The Network was one of the feature that put JME on my way.

When I heard about this engine and its full network system “SpiderMonkey”, I rushed to get my first experience in game developpement.
(Ok I’ve read @Normen says that making as first game a networked game wasn’t the best idea, but here we are 1 year later !)
Also, I’ve learnt Java for use with the JMonkeyEngine one year ago, and the same goes for the networking part.
But making a solo game was just out of the question, because as far as I’m concerned, the multi-player gameplay/feelings are far away different from solo one. (my opinion !) :slight_smile:

So indeed, the first thing that has been done on this project was writing the Network scheme and SpiderMonkey was clear and simple to work with.
Obviously, reading, again and again these awesome tutorials IS unavoidable and really makes things much more easier than I though. (not only network, all tutorials are must-read stuff)
Honestly, I think these documentations are just perfect. Moreover, users can have a look at MonkeyZone, which offers nice inspirations/samples for all kind of networked projects.
imo, the only thing that is missing is maybe some official informations about using “channels” for networking optimization. There is a post by @pspeed on SM forum but nothing on tutorials. Or am I wrong ? (I will use channels in Chaos, at first for in-game chat system and network combat text notification. but not sure how to handle this yet :amused: )

@kriss4realms said: imo, the only thing that is missing is maybe some official informations about using "channels" for networking optimization. There is a post by @pspeed on SM forum but nothing on tutorials. Or am I wrong ? (I will use channels in Chaos, at first for in-game chat system and network combat text notification. but not sure how to handle this yet :amused: )

Yeah, I don’t think the docs go into channels much. Mostly it is seamless. You have some additional setup to do when setting up the server and connecting… and you need to pick a channel when sending a message. Other than that, the rest works the same.

It’s to avoid the single-socket problem of having all messages have to wait for one really big one. You can do your big messages on separate channels or something. I use four channels in Mythruna. I don’t remember exactly for what off the top of my head but one was for terrain queries and another for ES messaging, etc… Chat might have been a separate one also and that more generally handles console command and responses, too.

Good project! I want to play it!

The game is already playable (as shown on vid) but there are a few a lot of features to add to make it ready for distribution, like trade, a complete sounds panel, or maybe some nice shader for amazing special effects :stuck_out_tongue:
So much things to do… who sets 24h a day ? :’(

@kriss4realms said: So much things to do... who sets 24h a day ? :'(

That would mainly be the moon’s fault. Although Earth’s interior and the Sun are also to blame a bit. :wink:

Hello Monkeys !

We are now testing Chaos 2.3 which comes with a lot of new features and I would like to present our recent work :slight_smile:

You will watch the video :

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNwEr8oeg64[/video]

And more information about the game on our website : www.4realms.net

As you can see on screenshots and video, we have improved overall aspect of the dungeon, making it more attractive and more immersive.
Plus, now players can directly interact with the World, they can open doors, look for hidden treasure chest and soon they will be able to trigger scripted game events.

A trading system has been implemented, allowing players to trade some equipment very quickly and securely with teammates.

The music system is also improved. We now use a few soundtracks, fading in/out accordingly with game’s events such as zoning, switching from fight state to a rest state etc…

We are now heading to the version 2.4 which deals with a total reset of the skills’ system.
We will also implement the SkillBook (more informations here) for skill customization.

There is still a lot of work !

By the way, I thank you for your interest and for the awesome support of the JMonkeyEngine community !

4 Likes