A jME Newcomer's Concerns

Hello.

I’ve been lurking for some time, and finally chose jME as a starting point for a new game project.

I’ve been playing with LeadWerks, UE3 and DarkBasic. The time has come, where I want to try out the Android platform, as I dont own an Iphone, lol :wink:

For now, I’ve found a few tutorials (Incuding the ones on this site), wich I’m running through a few times each to get a better understanding of Java.

I’ve been doing 3D (Modelling, Animation, Effect, Rigging, Skinning, Particles, lighting, rendering etc.) for 6+ years using mainly 3Ds Max and ZBrush for sculpturing. So the assets aspect of my project wont be the hard part.

Before I jump in and get too far not to proceed, I would love a few questions answered. I’ve searched both jme.org and google without getting the answers I look for, so here we go:

1: Is it possible to change Touch Events without having to recode it in the source binaries?

Take this as an example: On the left side of the screen, I got my WSAD-Space controls made of GUI buttons. Then on the right side of the screen, I want 2 arrows (Buttons too) “<- Right” | “Left ->” to only manage the 2 direction in wich the camera has to turn. Can this simple process be accomplished by the SDK, or do I have to edit the core?

2: Do any current or previous Android Developer know of the cap/limit of multiplayer counts running a standart FPS with physics, collision and mid scale levels/maps?

3: Changing servers to be run on a Windows/Linux box supporting Java, instead of using the host device may be a good solution in my case.

Is this easily archievable, or would I have to recode the whole server handling?

4: Is it worth to start using jME for an Android development (Fps, Multiplayer)?

Sorry for my grammar and various spelling mistakes. English isnt my first language. :wink:

1: I dont really understand… Sure its possible to add a gui and change the camerasettings and movements with that. You dont need to edit the core. Just some simple java. A bit programming will be there but i guess you expected that.

Nifty Gui and simple method calls are all you need to achieve that.

2: Didnt develop for android yet. But i guess its the same as a standardprogramm since the app wont calculate physics or stuff. The server does that normally. oô

3: Spidermonkey for example is a nifty solution atm in development. I had a running serverclient structure with simple interpolation and stuff in half an hour.

4: JME is ALWAYS worth it. Its a engine from monkeys for monkeys. Monkeytastic!

1. @KuroSei’s answer is right.

2. This is going to depend more on the phones running your application. You will have to do your own testing of this and see how your application performs. This is the case for any engine, framework, solution, etc. Test, test, test!

3. It was made to run in this way, so yes… not a problem. I don’t think anyone ever anticipated server code to be running on the client devices :wink:

4. We’d like to think so! The engine is open source, so you can drill down as deep as you wish to explore for further understanding. The features, we think, are really nice (and user contributed features further extend the experience). Most importantly, the community is welcoming and thriving. Just follow the documentation, ask questions, and have fun :slight_smile:

jme rocks, nuff said :slight_smile:

Unless I’ve missed a post, there will be an issue, I think currently a serious one, I think even sadly a deciding one; that is “collision”. The bullet physics engine currently running for Android, although it has been ported to run natively and thus quickly, does not have working collision detection and call backs. That is, unless I missed a post here saying it now works.

Thanks for your answers, mates.

I have chosen JME, and already deep in the documentation and tutorials.

I’m sure you’ll get some annoying questions in the future :wink:

jawfin:

I’ve been searching on that issue without finding anything.

If you find any info, feel free to post it here.

Anyways. I’ll make a simple app with collision and check it out.

“For some reason I can’t edit last post”

Someone posted on StackOverflow, that a mesh collision detection got problems in the JBullet Physics engine, and changing it to bax collision may fix the problem.

@jawfin said:
Unless I've missed a post, there will be an issue

Yeah, you missed a post ;) Bullet on android is now by default replaced with the native version of bullet, which runs great on android and except manual sweep tests has everything the jbullet version has.