A Minimap concept

Hi =),

Having weeks of freaky ideas about a minimap. I made a solution that i want to provide (for discussion,improvements and reuse).

This is the MiniMap AbstractState class, which updates the minimap position, and allows resizing the viewport.
MiniMapState Class

This is the node which added children, will be used in the minimap.

MiniMapSynchedNode

so all i do to add nodes to the minimap is:
[java]
MiniMapState state = app.getStateManager().getState(MiniMapState.class);
state.attachScene(app.getMiniMapNode());
state.attachScene(terrain);
[/java]

This is at the right bottom of the game screen. It shows my terrain and the “representers” of my little city.
what it looks like:

Yes i know, u will say, “Oh those boxes look ugly ^^” …

I used to render the original scene to the viewport and got a horrable decrease(But nice look ;)), so in this version the fps decrease is about(~1-2fps or a more comparable info 2million verts <-> 20k).

I hope i didn’t forgot something.

Greetz

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! What are the 4 different squares we’re looking at here? The one on the bottom right looks completely different, is that also some kind of map?

Would be nice to see the original terrains that the minimap has been derived from.

I know @pspeed has tinkered with minimaps, and @sploreg might have looked into the subject as well.

Along with @abies RTS Camera Control we’re one step closer to a complete RTS template :wink:

1 Like
@erlend_sh said: Thanks for sharing! What are the 4 different squares we're looking at here? The one on the bottom right looks completely different, is that also some kind of map?

Would be nice to see the original terrains that the minimap has been derived from.

I know @pspeed has tinkered with minimaps, and @sploreg might have looked into the subject as well.

Along with @abies RTS Camera Control we’re one step closer to a complete RTS template :wink:

The 4 different squares are 4 terrainquads, which come from the TerrainGrid. They are genearted via a fractale terrain loader and a mix of different materials(Snow/Sand/Rocks,…). So what u see is the worlds terrain and in the right lower square a terrain where a city is showed.

To clarify this situation i add a screenshot of the full screen.

You normally see the transition between the quads as water, but the scale is removing my water ;).

edit:
Here is a similar scene with my old minimap way(Difference of having minimap off and on is 30fps and 790000vert<-> 3,2mio verts):
Scene