A polygon limit?

Hello

I have started to work on a game with an other guy.

We have decided to use the JMonkeyEngine3.

As I am especially working on graphics, I’ve got a question : Is there a maximum number of polygon for the models in JME3 ?

There is no limit, except the one of your hardware…

Has a rule of thumbs, if you want your game to run on low hardwares, i’d say your scene shouldn’t have more that 100k polygons… but some hardwares will chew this with no problem.

For individual models, a good number is 5K imo, it let you make quite nice detailed models, and any hardware should be able to handle it

More than the poly count watch at the object count. recent hardware are very good at drawing huge numbers of polygons as long are they are sent in the same draw call.

This means a scene with 10 objects of 1000 poly each will be slower than a scene with one object of 10k polys.

As a rule of thumb, your objects count should not be more that 100 to 200 objects.

All those recommendation stands for a desktop game…if you plan an android game, you’ll have to lower that a lot :stuck_out_tongue:

For android i’d say : 50 obj, 30k poly, and 1k max for individual models.

Again these are my recommendations, there is no limitation.

@nehon has it good.

Poly crunching is dependent on hardware. 5-8k should give plenty of room for low-end hardware although I would suggest (depending on your target audience) to have higher poly models for more powerful hardware. Or alternatively use models with different LOD and depending on hardware impose a maximum LOD.

Ok thank you for your answers…

But, I don’t understand what k mean ?

The heaviest model I am working on actually should be 8000/10000 poly. (building for a RTS-like game), generally, I assume that a model is too big when it is more than 20000/25000 poly. Is it good for the JME3 or should I reduce the size ?

PS : It is for PC

k = kilo = 1000

And regarding the other question, if you dont have many objects with 20k polys, then it should be ok. As was said before, its more diffecult for hardware to render more obj with low poly, than remder 1 or few with many poly.

So reduce the poly count, if you have serveal objs of 20k in the same scene.

Yeah sorry K means 1000

Also IMO 8K/10k for a RTS game is a bit of a waste. Very often units in an RTS game are seen from far away, and you don’t need models that are that much detailed.

Using LOD (level of detail) may help you, if you want to keep hi detailed models for close ups. If you are not familiar with this, it’s a system that reduce the number of polygons of a model according to their distance from the camera. This way far objects have a lot less polygons with almost no visual difference.

The ogre importing workflow allows you to automatically generate lod levels for a model

Normal maps are more heavily used especially on console to have reduced poly count w/o sacrificing too much of the visual appeal. Check “normal map baking”.

Yes, normal map could be useful, but only for details.

For the 8000/10000 poly model, I know, it’s a bit important for a RTS… But I have just see a “mistake” in my model, a bloc using hundred of poly for nothing…

So, I will try to stay under 10.000, if possible, around 3000/5000…

Thank you for your answers.

Well it depends,

for my game as I target current state of the art computers, I try to maintain a limit of 5 million polygons pe scene, and on current hardware it runs with around 200fps (with water postprocessig bloom and shadows), So really depends on what the hardware you want to support is. I strongly suggest ofr a rts to use lod, maybee even imposters. (When far away replace the building with a texturedquad, that contains a rendering of the building from the current angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EImR6K26vKohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EImR6K26vKo

Shoudl give you an idea of what I suggest

5 million polygons really?

Yes, only with 50 objects however, so it completly depends on the graficcard, since the overhead is minimal

I’m having a REALLY REALLY hard time with 5 million polygons. Are you sure you’re not referring to tris? 5 M tris I would think modern cards (480/580+) should be able to handle that, but polygons? That’s a big one to swallow.

Hm, your right, I meant triangles, (the ones displayed in the debug fps stuff)

Though, technically those triangles are also polygons. :wink: