A question about a simple project

Hello,

The teacher started a project :

Command a robotic arm with java.

I was assigned the task to preview the result of a command in the future java software in 3D of course.

Since I have heard of your nice Engine I thought it would be easier for me to use it than to start from scratch.

There is my question : How do you think I should do the model ? For now I have created one model (.OBJ) for each part of the arm in Blender.

Should I continue this way or do you think there is simpler ? I don't need nice graphics, I need something simple that my mates would understand ^^

Best regards,

rXp>!<

[EDIT] There is some pictures :

http://img826.imageshack.us/i/dsc00199i.jpg/

http://img375.imageshack.us/i/dsc00198z.jpg/

http://img413.imageshack.us/i/dsc00197ry.jpg/

I think you are on the good way so far.

But if you want to animate your robotic arm it will probably need a rig at some point, which OBJ format does not support.

You should look into ogre xml format for exporting from blender to JME.

You should also merge the complete arm in a single file.

nehon said:

I think you are on the good way so far.
But if you want to animate your robotic arm it will probably need a rig at some point, which OBJ format does not support.

You should look into ogre xml format for exporting from blender to JME.

You should also merge the complete arm in a single file.

So you think I should put all together in a single file that I will export ? Do I need to merge them in one object or using an armature ?

PS : for Ogre xml http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Tools:+Blender

Well i mean you should put all parts of the arm in the same .blend file.

Then you create an armature for it and set kinematic constrains, etc…

Then you can join the different objects into one (select all and ctrl+j i think) and export to ogre xml.

If you don't want to join the objects, you can try to export to dotScene format as it will export the entire scene.

Do you use JME2 or JME3?

nehon said:

Well i mean you should put all parts of the arm in the same .blend file.
Then you create an armature for it and set kinematic constrains, etc...
Then you can join the different objects into one (select all and ctrl+j i think) and export to ogre xml.
If you don't want to join the objects, you can try to export to dotScene format as it will export the entire scene.

Do you use JME2 or JME3?

JME2 for now, but I still don't know if I should go for the JME3 ;)
Ok so I will recreate the blender model with armature and join everything together :)
I will keep this topic updated :) Thank you for your help.

Hi back,

So I got my model and everything seems go be set up but I can't find any example of code to import a ogre xml model/armature that doesn't require any preanimation done in blender.

Could you help me ?

Best regards,

rXp>!<

rXp said:

Hi back,

So I got my model and everything seems go be set up but I can't find any example of code to import a ogre xml model/armature that doesn't require any preanimation done in blender.

Could you help me ?

Best regards,

rXp>!<

In the jmetest classes, you can find a "Turret Demo" that shows how you can modify a skeleton w/o animations..

Oj yeah thank you I didn't see those.

But it says that it can't find the files.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Required runtime resource missing: /home/rxp/workspace/ninja.mesh.xml

And believe me they are in /home/rxp/workspace/

And I took the TestMeshLoading from the jmeTest :s

Best regards,

rXp>!<
rXp said:

Oj yeah thank you I didn't see those.
But it says that it can't find the files.
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Required runtime resource missing: /home/rxp/workspace/ninja.mesh.xml

And believe me they are in /home/rxp/workspace/

And I took the TestMeshLoading from the jmeTest :s

Best regards,

rXp>!<

Okey so I managed to correct the error in the code but when I put my model, nothing appears ^^
But no error either, even with just a simple cylinder nothing appears.
Do you have an idea ?-