A serious error

hello

It seems like this error comes more and more frequently.

It's about every third who download the game (I've logged it).

com.jme.system.JmeException: Cannot create window: Pixel format not accelerated^M

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.initDisplay(LWJGLDisplaySystem.java:438)^M

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.createWindow(LWJGLDisplaySystem.java:143)^M

at net.ob3d.OBStandardGame.initSystem(OBStandardGame.java:246)^M

at net.ob3d.OBStandardGame.run(OBStandardGame.java:157)^M

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)^M

Seems like it is first and foremost a driver problem. But to ask the ordinary joe to download drivers is asking too much. Plus it is not good if a  game engine fails to start every third time…

Well try a lower depth buffer setting/stecil buffer ect.

It will run on most shitty onboards(old real graficcards) then.

However it would be kide nice if you could post the graficcard names

But there is no way it will work without a opengl able driver -wich are most standart xp drivers- not.

At least wiht my friends jme was always able to run quite good, might be because they are all gamers and have at least decent configurations with mostly uptodate drivers.

Ok thanks…I dont know the graphics cards it is happening on since I just get the log, but it also happened on few brand new computers.

I suggest writing your own printStream, and us that with System.SetUotStream / SetErrorStream and log the outputs from jme, in case of crash let it send you the whole log, this will also include the settings and the graficcard

Well I dont really care what GFX card they have. My game is so simple ANY card should be able to run it.

So now I'm trying to set stencil bits to 0, alpha bits to 0 and color depth to 16.

Well you could enable software rendering in LWJGL… But then your game would simply run very very slow. Sorry but there simply isn't a very good solution to this problem except "download drivers"… You could make it easy, if you detect this error, just redirect the user to the appropriate html page where they will receive instructions on how to install drivers.

Momoko_Fan said:

Well you could enable software rendering in LWJGL.. But then your game would simply run very very slow. Sorry but there simply isn't a very good solution to this problem except "download drivers".. You could make it easy, if you detect this error, just redirect the user to the appropriate html page where they will receive instructions on how to install drivers.

Yes ok but how would you know what drivers they need ? and wouldnt most cards support OpenGl ?

even intel onboard supports opengl good enough for jme ad simple grafics, so yes witha  driver nearly every card should work.

Yes ok but how would you know what drivers they need ?

NVIDIA  - http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx
ATI      - http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx
INTEL    - http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/

and wouldnt most cards support OpenGl ?

Its not a question of whether the card supports, its a question if the driver is installed. You can have a Ultra GXT 5990 but it still wont run opengl because driver is not installed.

Ok thanks…it seems strange to me an expensive card wouldnt be delivered  something as common and necessary as an opengl driver ?  but I guess that's the way it works then.

But isnt the LWJGLSettingsDialog supposed to find the supported modes ? and can it even FIND anything if OpenGL is not installed ?

Yes due to microsoft having a shiity emulating mode ver d3d inside their standart drivers.

(I guess same goes for the linux software renderer)

The problem is that even if the card is shipped wirh the driver (and yes usually they have a driver cd) those are long outdated before you even open the box

Have you tried the JOGL renderer? I've seen the same problem on an older Windows machine; switching to the JOGL renderer solved it.

-Prime