[Abandoned]jME member Skype meeting (May 12th 2012) 20:00 UTC

@pspeed said:
My system has never run so clean as after I uninstalled that. (I got tired of having to kill the service all the time to keep it from stealing CPU.)

That's odd though. CPU usage for skype is 0 here. Heck, my sidebar takes more CPU power than skype and it's at 1 once in a while.
@madjack said:
That's odd though. CPU usage for skype is 0 here. Heck, my sidebar takes more CPU power than skype and it's at 1 once in a while.

I don't know what it was doing. When I was having problems managing the heat from my old system I was always watching the CPU usage, fan speeds, etc.. Many times I opened the process monitor to see Skype taking more CPU than firefox (which is kind of a constant drain). Mostly it's idle but occasionally it would spike for long periods of time. I don't know what it was doing but I kill things like that.

I know skype has a tendency to monopolize port 80, preventing you from starting a web server on it. But if you kill skype, start the web server, then restart skype, its fine.

@pspeed said:
No. This is a nice way to chat to the community. I can choose when I do it. I can take time to think about my answers. And I don't have to rearrange a bunch other schedules to make sure a specific block of time is free.

And best of all, I don't have to install Skype again. My system has never run so clean as after I uninstalled that. (I got tired of having to kill the service all the time to keep it from stealing CPU.)

I also had a problem with skype, but i think its efficiency has improved somewhat.

would be good to have a developer/core member involved with this, as they will know alot more about jME, and its plans etc :), but a few members would be fun also ^_^

Skype actually runs everything over peer to peer systems and then run a fraction of the number of servers they would otherwise need to run and use them to form the ā€œcoreā€.

If Skype was eating resources then most likely it had found good network connectivity and was using you as a supernode or something like that.

I canā€™t remember the details but I know itā€™s supposed to be ā€œniceā€ unless you tell it not to be, no idea how good it is at being nice though.

Well Skype can hog your computer on Linux. On windows it works well enough. :slight_smile:

Also, I donā€™t drink OR do drugs so that immediately disqualifies me.

@pspeed i see your not remotely interested, and its fine :), iā€™m not gonna force anyone to do it, just seeing who would be interested and up for a laugh thatā€™s all

The only problem ive had with skype is on linux when it crashes spontanoualy once a day. Besides that i love it.

Brw

Messing op with skype nameā€¦

Even tho no core developers will be there it will be even better to for me to participate, so i can amuse myself and others can amuse with their jme anticdotesā€¦ And its open source any one can be an anonymous developer!!!

Is it just voice or will there be video conferance? I would join in if itā€™s a video conferance, otherwise its just weird.

Ah not a bad idea :). Perhaps we could have 4 people with webcams and then live stream the event. And have people asking us questions about ā€˜game developmentā€™ in the chat and we can chill during the down time :), showing people videos and advertising jME. Quite excited about this now :slight_smile:

So yh looking for people who would be interested in this

Iā€™m getting excited also. Maybe it can become a ā€œthingā€. If you have room I could join and talk some about Forester and the new sky stuff (and other stuff also, of course). Just what the ā€œvisionā€ is etc.

2 Likes

Yh thatā€™s exactly some of the stuff we would do :), if its popular we could make it a weekly thing or something, and have guests in and stuff lol, but letā€™s not get too carried away :slight_smile:

I will make a new thread about this, as it has deviated into something great :slight_smile:

edit: sorry to those who were looking forward to this ā€œofflineā€ skype event, but this idea has now been improved in favour of a skype livestream event! and can be found here:

http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/groups/general/forum/topic/jme-game-developers-livestream-event/

Crap, i missed thisā€¦

Well I think it got aborted anywayā€¦