About the web applet deploying system

Hi, I’m new here (in the JMP community and in game development in general ), and I have some inquiries regarding the web applet deploying.

The thing is: do the java applets works in the same way that flash applications? I mean, putting aside the fact that is java and no extra plugin is needed, do I need to re-download the entire application every time I want to play? Is there a way to store the data on the local hard drive and use it later?

I’m asking this because 3D applications are, in general, larger than 2D applications, so re-downloading could be a huge waste of time for the players; or maybe I should attempt to make really simple models with really low res textures. . . I don’t know, that’s why I’m here asking.

BTW, I haven’t found anything about this topic on the deploying documentation, maybe there’s no such a thing :frowning:

Anyway, I hope I’m clear to you guys, thanks in advance!!

:slight_smile:

P.D.: sorry for my english

There is a cache for java applets, yes.

WOW, Super-duper-fast response!!!

What a service we have here :smiley:

Thanks for the response, and well, I see that I should start looking at the cache but… is there a tutorial or something for “cache managing” or something? :smiley:

Should I set it up in the project properties in JMP, or in the web page in wich i want to put the applet?

Sorry for being annoying :frowning:

And thanks!

Sorry for double post but

From: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/sdk:application_deployment#browser_applet

“Depending on your settings, the browser caches the applet, the html page, and/or the jnlp file, even after you have cleaned and built the project. Make sure to empty the browser cache”

That means that the applet is “cache’ed” automatically?

Yes, if you want web-installable applications that update when you change the jar files then use WebStart.

Many thanks for the reply :smiley:

I’ll check out that!

The applet will behave similar though. If the user plays the gane often he will probably only download it when its updated.

This isn’t something you as a developer really have any control over though. It’s all down to how the user has set up their web browser. In most cases the default settings will cache stuff and just compare the dates the next time you go visit though.

Ok, so, I see this browser based thing is pretty out of my hand in the end; probably just making a desktop executable would be less headache for everyone, since I can’t even run the web applet samples on my computer (BTW I’m on ubuntu 12.04, 64 bits).

However, thank you very much for the help, I’ll start with simpler things, leaving the browser aside for a while at least.

Thanks again, and I’ll see you next time :smiley:

A simple mixed solution is to create a updater with webstart. Webstart will keep your updater uptodate, and in your own updater you can controll how patching, caching ect is handled. The real application is just started as any desktop application then.

Kinda similar to the launcher you see in every 08/15 mmo