Advice about a book on model animation in videogames

Hi Guys,

someone has the name of a book on 3d model animations related to videogames?

I am makes searches on amazon for a few hours but i wasn’t able to find anything interesting.

The best book I have found is…

Google search

There are soooooooooo many step-by-step tutorials specifically geared towards modeling/animation/etc. Everything you could possibly need is there for ya.

Actually, if your using Blender, you can find most everything you need linked from the main site.

I’m fairly sure Autodesk provides something similar…

Anyways… Google + bookmarks are your friend.

Thank you the problem is i don’t need basic stuff but some book that speaks about the last tecniques using

in production games related to animations, and how to integrate for example rope animations made

in 3dsmax into a videogame.

You might be asking for the impossible. In your example, for example, I don’t think any game would ever “integrate rope animations from 3dsmax”… at least not in their right mind. At best, it would be key framed animation just like anything else. A rope is a tail is a cat is a monkey is Laura Croft… all the same.

Books are going to be 2 years out of date from “cutting edge” anyway.

Even two years would be good,

because i didn’t find any book that gives guidelines on how to do animations

that are eatable by 3d engines, the only good documentations is related to nvidia physics

and the plugin that they offer for 3dsmax

If this was covered in any book then I’d expect it in one of the “Game Programming Gems” books. If it isn’t there then it’s unlikely to be anywhere.

Ok i will take a look thank you,

i forgot the gem series.

I’m still not following you… I have seen some incredible walk-thru’s using blender. Very advanced animation ideas and how to properly implement them.

As for rope…

I would think proper armature placement and using ragdoll would work.

Or… Depending on what you need the rope to do… you could use a mesh deformation shader.

Or armature/standard animations for that matter.

Maybe a combination of all of the above?

Really when it comes down to it… it depends on what perspective the player has of the item as to what you’ll choose to do, or how detailed you’ll choose to get. And I am seriously doubting that if you do find the book your looking for, there will be extensive discussion on animating rope (for example).

Have you considered asking on a forum that is specific to the modeling software you are using? If it is 3dsmax… then your bound to find better answers on a site dedicated to the use of that software (modeling and animating alike). And more specifically, you’ll find people who have had the exact same problems you are facing (be it implementing or just choosing an appropriate direction to go in) and others who have the exact answer you’re looking for.

I hope you don’t take this as a slight… because it isn’t intended that way at all. I just think that your selling short a resource that is constantly kept up to date and also give you the ability to actually talk to those in the know.

Hi t0neg0d,

the fact is i am not trying to solve a specific problem,

but i am trying to understand which are the used standard in terms of animations

and how the physics engines integrate with tools like 3dsmax connecting the modelling

with the 3d game engine.

@geniodella said:
the fact is i am not trying to solve a specific problem,
but i am trying to understand which are the used standard in terms of animations
and how the physics engines integrate with tools like 3dsmax connecting the modelling
with the 3d game engine.

Thats quite specific stuff you won't find a book about though ^^

Mhmm even some articles or links would be useful,

for example i saw that Disney has made a plugin for 3dsmax

for using bullet engine inside 3dsmax, i wonder if models made with this plugin

would be exportable to jmonkey.

No you cannot. Read the manual of jme and then read up the stuff you do not understand. The wiki really contains a lot of information and takes beginners by the hands. E.g. the information in HelloAsset and the Best Practices document are invaluable.

Ok, thank you Normen

@geniodella said:
Thank you the problem is i don't need basic stuff but some book that speaks about the last tecniques using
in production games related to animations, and how to integrate for example rope animations made
in 3dsmax into a videogame.

I used 3dsmax for my job in game dev too and it's quite impossible to have pre-made animation interact in a game. Now take it to the basic:

1 - JME and a lot of other game engine only understand baked Bone animation . So every thing you do in animation have to be "baked".
2 - If it's true that you used:
Rope modifier ( or Spline IK)
-> apply to bones which
-> included by a skinned object in 3dsmax
to make a rope-like object
-> then bake the whole animation in to bone-animation
-> and export via ogre.xml

So what you have to do in the engine:
-> take a good look at JME physic (rag doll example)
-> which take a bone structure, make them some collision shape, and then interact with others by Bullet simulation.

"Almost" thing in pre-baked animation can be preserved in the end result, but as some guys said above, that's not really the proper way to do it!

Thank you for the explanations,

it is really useful i was a little bit confused by the different implementations of ragdoll that

i found in the source code of monkey but the best thing is try and see how it goes.

And definitely i have to say to my friend that is creating the animations to trash reactor eheheh.