Alpha iOS deployment available in SDK – please test

@normen said: Yeah, as wezrule said, you can only deploy on mac anyway, theres not much we can do about this. Compiling the libraries should work on any platform but creating an actual iOS application and especially deploying it only works with apples hard- and software. This is so for any corss-platform dev tool (Unity, UDK etc) The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless theres emotes that hint otherwise or there's an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

Normen, I was going to question whether this were still true, but it seem that I jumped the gun somewhat, and I’ve just found out that Apple now has an ‘Application Loader’ application for itunes App submissions, which, unfortunately, is Mac-only.

It should, however, be possible to build IOS apps on non-Mac OSes, just not distibute them :cry: . I wrote a fairly hefty post outling a rag-tag group of FOSS software with which IOS app bundles can be compiled and signed on Linux and Windows (splutter). These tools include actual Apple code for signing (codesign.cpp) etc.:

http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/non-apple-mac-iosiphone-toolchain-various-information

As as I said, it was previously possible to upload a finished app using an Apple/iTunes portal page, that’s a shame.

No it just fits the premise.

@kwando said: EDIT: Actually the iPad screen is white..

Phew… I was starting to worry what I was doing wrong to get only the white screen and those ARM warnings :smiley:

So, in this alpha we are done if we get the white screen right? :slight_smile:

Yeah, you can do everything you can in a jme game but you won’t see or hear anything or be able to pass input to the application. So you could e.g. test the performance of processes or things like that.

@normen said: Yeah, you can do everything you can in a jme game but you won't see or hear anything or be able to pass input to the application. So you could e.g. test the performance of processes or things like that.
  • That’s nothing that a jme game can do?
@fabsterpal said: - That's nothing that a jme game can do?
Huh? If you have a working android game for example, you could log how long it takes to load models, prepare data etc. and compare it to the android version.
@normen said: Huh? If you have a working android game for example, you could log how long it takes to load models, prepare data etc. and compare it to the android version.

No no, Look:

@normen said: Yeah, you can do everything you can in a jme game but you -->won't<-- see or hear anything or be able to pass input to the application. So you could e.g. test the performance of processes or things like that.

I was just pointing out, that seeing and hearing is quite a large majority of what jME is.

@fabsterpal said: No no, Look:

I was just pointing out, that seeing and hearing is quite a large majority of what jME is.

But still thats what I was explaining with that post… :roll: So I don’t really know if a “witty remark” is technically possible in this case, its implicitly unwitty. :wink:

Actually rendering the image is the least your application does, because its all handled by the engine. But having users reporting issues with application code, engine features, java features or other things that maybe don’t work as expected would sure help me a lot developing this feature.

@normen said: But still thats what I was explaining with that post.. :roll: So I don't really know if a "witty remark" is technically possible in this case, its implicitly unwitty. :wink:

Actually rendering the image is the least your application does, because its all handled by the engine. But having users reporting issues with application code, engine features, java features or other things that maybe don’t work as expected would sure help me a lot developing this feature.

:frowning: no wit intended…

With a bit of screwing around you can get osx to run under windows with VM. I used to do iOS dev this way a few years ago so I’m sure it’s a lot easier now. Worth looking into as a first step before turning to the dark side and purchasing hardware.

Just to let you know, Oracle did actually develop a tool, that makes it possible to develop for iOS, on any platform, also non mac platforms… Or I should properply state, that they developed a way to create the license, that is needed for an iOS application. You can read more about this here: https://blogs.oracle.com/jfxprg/entry/ipack_the_ios_application_packager

Another thing I was wondering about, was if there is any special reason why you are using avian and not robovm ?

Again, you can develop on any OS with this too, you can only DEPLOY on MacOS, that means “publishing applications for sale on the official App Store”. This is true for every iOS development tool.

Furthermore we still need a renderer, no matter if its with Oracles iPhone VM, RoboVM or Avian. RoboVM was not production ready when this plugin was done and is just as interesting. However many of the advantages of RoboVM only come into play if you use their Obj-C API which I don’t really find sensible. If you use normal JNI Robo and Avian don’t really differ much.

Sorry I mispelled a word, this iPack tool as they call it makes it possible to DEPLOY App store ready apps, from any OS… In order to develop, you still need another tool such as robovm or avian. So far the javaFX team from oracle does actually depend on the robovm, for making their prototypes, however nothing is officially supported from Oracle yet.

Just thought that I would mention, that you could couple this tool with the current avian solution, to make it possible to develop and deploy apps on any OS(that support java).

@nightmare2real said: Sorry I mispelled a word, this iPack tool as they call it makes it possible to DEPLOY App store ready apps, from any OS.. In order to develop, you still need another tool such as robovm or avian. So far the javaFX team from oracle does actually depend on the robovm, for making their prototypes, however nothing is officially supported from Oracle yet.

It makes an .ipa package, it neither gets the certificate from Apple for you nor deploys it to the App Store, YOU NEED MACOS FOR THAT. (No matter if you got it this time or not, I won’t say it again, no worries)

About an “Oracle VM”… Oops, I spoke too soon :wink:

@normen said: It makes an .ipa package, it neither gets the certificate from Apple for you nor deploys it to the App Store, YOU NEED MACOS FOR THAT. (No matter if you got it this time or not, I won't say it again, no worries)

About an “Oracle VM”… Oops, I spoke too soon :wink:

Do you have an iOS developer club membership? You can upload all the crap through the members portal iirc…

@fabsterpal said: Do you have an iOS developer club membership? You can upload all the crap through the members portal iirc...

Yes I do. The time of the web uploader is long gone.

@normen said: Yes I do. The time of the web uploader is long gone.
  • And so is the time of me caring about Apple and their hyper-capitalist approach towards freedom of use and customization. Explains why I didn’t know.
@fabsterpal said: - And so is the time of me caring about Apple and their hyper-capitalist approach towards freedom of use and customization. Explains why I didn't know.

Tehe, so you use “fair” PCs with Linux now? ^^

@normen said: Tehe, so you use "fair" PCs with Linux now? ^^

Well, “Fair-er” PCs with a combination of windows and ubuntu, and mobile devices running android ^,^

@fabsterpal said: Well, "Fair-er" PCs with a combination of windows and ubuntu, and mobile devices running android ^,^

Its hard to actually get a fairer PC than a mac, or a cleaner cloud than iCloud, so kudos for spending that money.