Alternative splashscreen for jMonkeyPlatform

I made a alternate splash screen for jmonkeyplatform that i’d like to contribute (only if it looks good enough for you guys :wink: ).

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong group, I didn’t know where to put it.

3 Likes

Hey, cool. Nice to see more fans :slight_smile: @arie also posted some ideas here: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/groups/jmonkeyplatform/forum/topic/jme3-splash-screen-ideas/ But we hope to see many releases and many splash screens in the future :smiley:

Oooh, kind of old-school Ubuntu-ish :smiley: Art contributions rock, keep’em coming. If you have any experience with Twitter/YouTube/Facebook themes, that’s certainly something we’d appreciate. I would especially like to see some new feathers for our YouTube page…

That is really nicely done, but the thing spoiling it for me is the main title. I mean, it’s good that it stands out, but it doesn’t quite blend as nice with the rest of the image, maybe its just me :P, I do still like it tho, gj

Glad you guys like it :slight_smile:

@normen Expect more contributions from me in the future :smiley: ; like a level editor if it isn’t already implemented.

@erlend_sh Not sure what you mean by theme because as far as i know is that all of them don’t support themes?

Unless you are talking about a background or something; then I’d be happy to help out. :slight_smile:

@wezrule I made a update to it :wink: :

i have to say. That is super sexy, really good job :slight_smile:

Hey there!

I love the colors, although somehow the smaller letters seem a bit too bright compared to the main (they seem to shout for attention when my eyes defocus). Perhaps these should be a bit dimmed? Secondly, just noticed you also simplified the colors on the main title, I’d love to see the kind of gradients as in the first picture, but just more in the style of the other letters.

Another detail that I noticed, the monkey head is cut off at the right and bottom side. Now the right side seems okay-ish as the cutoff is clearly on purpose, but the bottom is such a small cutoff that is seems it got a ‘just-did-not-fit-but-it-nearly-did!’ solution. Perhaps you want to move that a little? It’s feels like he was not worth the trouble putting him entirely in, while he is the main character of the picture :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually like the colors ok but my eyes want to see a black outline around the main title. Perhaps for the same reason Baal doesn’t like the smaller text’s bright color. Personally, I like a rich-colored well-defined main title with paler sub-text… but it’s all getting pretty nit-picky at this point. :slight_smile:

The monkey head positioning does feel a little off, though. I’ll agree on that one. I don’t have so much of a problem with the cut-off as much as that the larger eye is in a weird place in the composition.

…ok, yeah, that’s nit-picking. :slight_smile:

@baalgarnaal @pspeed updated :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, that looks like a big improvement through small details to me =]

Somehow the lines in the background seem to stand out more as well this way, as if the holy main title is shining its light on the monkey, love it.

Oh, by the way, Environment actually has a third ‘n’ :wink:

rustedthorn said:
(...)
Not sure what you mean by theme because as far as i know is that all of them don't support themes?
Unless you are talking about a background or something; then I'd be happy to help out
(...)

Yep, that's what I meant. I don't know about the size standards, so hopefully you'll be able to figure that out, but we might have to move through some iterations, heh.

@baalgarnaal :smiley: thanks!

Whoops how did that one get through…

updated 8)

@erlend_sh

Not a problem, I’ll post some variations starting with Twitter.

Is it required to use the colours that’s used on the website or could I match it with the splash screen I made?

It seems that there is a little bit of css involved for the lay-outing, so I will post some designs first before I start coding.

Should I start a new thread? if so in which group?

@rustedthorn you’re free to use whichever color scheme you’d like. Based on our .org, .com or your own. But like I said, expect a couple iterations, so don’t put all your eggs in one basket, and some simple first takes.

Yeah, a new thread would be good. This group should be fine. Heh, your contribution is in an annoying greyzone that can’t be easily nailed down until our forum supports “tag-based groups”, which we’ll get into later.

Two more versions :

Mono-colored version for beta’s

2 Likes

Hey, the first with the island background is sexy :).

Yeah I agree, works great :slight_smile: Interesting to have that much depth in a splash screen.