Always extend SimpleApplication?

I am coming back to jME after taking a hiatus from a few years ago. When I read the jME documentation back then, I remember SimpleApplication was 1 of several Application subclasses you could choose from. Your choice was to extend one of these Application subclasses, or build your own (if you were hardcore).

After reading the current jME3 docs, it now seems that this has changed, and that one must now always override SimpleApplication. Can someone verify or disprove this? If this is not true, then what other Application subclasses can I extend/implement, and what are my options?

Is it still the case that hardcore jME3 developers just extends Application with their own homegrown solution? If so, what are some benefits to doing this that are not possible by extending SimpleApplication? Thanks in advance!

Always extend SimpleApplication, yes. No benefits from doing anything else.

@normen said: Always extend SimpleApplication, yes. No benefits from doing anything else.

Normally, in around 100% of all cases there is really no reason to do so. The only excaption would be if you do stuff that is imposible by extending simpleapplication (and this case would fit into the rounding error of the 100%).

Thanks guys - so just to confirm, SimpleApplication is not just for “newbies” to jME3, but is also the Application subclass used even in the most sophisticated of jME3 games? Thanks again!

Yes.