An open source virtual city

I wanted to design and create an open source city environment that would be constantly updated by the community. This is not like Sims, but rather the user being able to walk or drive in a virtual city that is completely created and designed by the open source community.

I’ve released a demo version on the project page and I’d really appreciate it if you tried it out and let me know what you think. I’d appreciate it even more if you decided to help work on the project. I have a passion for the project and want to see it come to fruition, but I lack the modeling and AI skills (as is clearly evident from the demo) that would be necessary to make this project work on a large scale. A large, interactive city with AI vehicles and the like would certainly be a good way to show off the power of open source tools such as JME.

So, please try the demo located on the project website and let me know what you think and why you would/would not consider helping develop this project.

Thanks!

1 Like

Erm, betaville? :slight_smile: http://betaville.net
Maybe a good chance to collaborate? I guess your vision is more “game driven”?

<cite>@normen said:</cite> Erm, betaville? :) http://betaville.net Maybe a good chance to collaborate? I guess your vision is more "game driven"?

I’ve researched Betaville and it seems that they are more a professional project focused on design and planning. This project has more of a game element to it. I think the two projects have different directions.

Hi

Sorry for my silly question but where is the source code of this project? Under which license is it? I plan to use OpenStreetMap and OSM2World to generate some pieces of town in my project, maybe you could do something similar in yours. Good luck.

<cite>@gouessej said:</cite> Hi

Sorry for my silly question but where is the source code of this project? Under which license is it? I plan to use OpenStreetMap and OSM2World to generate some pieces of town in my project, maybe you could do something similar in yours. Good luck.

The source code for the project is currently on GitHub, although I haven’t updated it in a while. I’ve been more focused on creating the demo version which will hopefully spark someone’s imagination and convince them to join.

The original project was centered on creating a virtual representation of New York City (my avatar), but I realized that there would be certain issues with creating the model around a real city, so I decided instead to have the model city be one that is created from scratch.

I also hope to implement drivable vehicles in-game that are parodies of real cars. So hopefully I can find some people with relevant skills (which is pretty much anything at this point) who wouldn’t mind contributing.

<cite>@WumpaFruit said:</cite> The source code for the project is currently on GitHub, although I haven't updated it in a while. I've been more focused on creating the demo version which will hopefully spark someone's imagination and convince them to join.
You can do both at the same time, it is not contradictory, creating a demo doesn't prevent you from updating the source code to reflect your changes, using "git commit -a -m" doesn't take a long time and leaving the source code not updated doesn't give a good image of your project, which is intended to be open source. In my humble opinion, a link to the Github repository should be clearly visible on your homepage. Good luck.
<cite>@gouessej said:</cite> You can do both at the same time, it is not contradictory, creating a demo doesn't prevent you from updating the source code to reflect your changes, using "git commit -a -m" doesn't take a long time and leaving the source code not updated doesn't give a good image of your project, which is intended to be open source. In my humble opinion, a link to the Github repository should be clearly visible on your homepage. Good luck.

I really should have been updated GitHub more frequently but I have now created a new repository which will hopefully be the final home of the source code (link). I’ve also updated the home page to easily show important links.

Have any of you tried the demo to see if it works?

<cite>@WumpaFruit said:</cite> I really should have been updated GitHub more frequently but I have now created a new repository which will hopefully be the final home of the source code (link). I've also updated the home page to easily show important links.
Thank you. Maybe you should completely remove the empty repository on Github to avoid any confusion or add a "readme" file pointing to the right repository into them.
<cite>@WumpaFruit said:</cite>Have any of you tried the demo to see if it works?
Yes I gave it a try, it worked on an high end machine, I tried both the fly mode and the other mode.