Android development workflow?

I finally managed to get it working, I had done a mistake in UV mapping. Please excuse…

@galvez6000 said: Hello simar.i3r

I’ve similar problems with a game that I’ve developed for android: Tic Tac Toe - Revolution!
In fact it’s a very simple game but at the beginning I used Lighting.j3md textures in my models. It didn’t work in most devices due to the problems related with shaders.
So I decided to change my models to Unshaded textures and bake in Blender the textures with shadows (bake full render) and use UV maps.
Most of the problems dissapeared and the models looks fine. I also experienced a speed boost in the aplication performance.
Other common issue is to have too many objects in the scene.
https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:intermediate:optimization
Use these tips for optimize the number of objects in scene.

After following this tips, my application runs fine most of the times in both PC and Android, unless the Android phone have 4 cores but this issue is going to be solved in the next jmonkey update (yeeeeaaaahhhh!!).

Hi,

I assigned the baked UV map as the color map in jMonkey as it works awesome now. BTW just to be sure, are you also assigning colormap as the UV map. There are bunch of other options as well.??

Apart from that, I want one more advice, the optimization of shaders is urging me look more into optimization. I guess when we are just applying textures on model’s faces, we don’t need any surface detail. How do you exactly eliminate all the redundant details from models on internet and bake textures so that they look similar.

Say for example if we have a floppy, it will contain a circular dial, inside film, outer stikker, aluminium head. We dont need all this, we just need the outer body and we can apply baked textures from the earlier model. this is significantly reduce triangle count. I hope I’m looking in the right direction. What are your comments???
Could you give me experienced advice, how should I do such a process with minimal effort…

The thruth is that I don’t have so much experience in 3d modeling. What I have read about this topic is that people works with a model in high-resolution and bake the UVmap for this model. Then develop a low-resolution model (removing unnecessary stuff) and use the low-resolution model with the high-resolution UVmap.

Something like this:

https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:external:blender?&#blender_modeling_lowpoly_highpoly

I don’t know if blender has some tool to do that, but I think that you will need to invest some time on it…

As a side note, I believe if you check the “Shadeless” check box in Blender under the Material area the jME blender importer will use Unshaded instead of Lighting when it imports the model.

@iwgeric said: As a side note, I believe if you check the "Shadeless" check box in Blender under the Material area the jME blender importer will use Unshaded instead of Lighting when it imports the model.

That tip!!!
Thanks

@galvez6000 said: The thruth is that I don't have so much experience in 3d modeling. What I have read about this topic is that people works with a model in high-resolution and bake the UVmap for this model. Then develop a low-resolution model (removing unnecessary stuff) and use the low-resolution model with the high-resolution UVmap.

Something like this:

https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:external:blender?&#blender_modeling_lowpoly_highpoly

I don’t know if blender has some tool to do that, but I think that you will need to invest some time on it…

Hmm, I think I got better idea now.
The post on the stackexchange is illustrating the same very well.

@iwgeric said: As a side note, I believe if you check the "Shadeless" check box in Blender under the Material area the jME blender importer will use Unshaded instead of Lighting when it imports the model.

Choosing the Shadeless in Material settings in blender and exporting the plane as Orge XML. Importing it in jME loads lightening material and not unshaded??

Am I missing something

I’m setting the color using diffuse setting in blender. i have checked the shadeless in blender

@simar.i3r said: Choosing the Shadeless in Material settings in blender and exporting the plane as Orge XML. Importing it in jME loads lightening material and not unshaded??

Am I missing something

I’m setting the color using diffuse setting in blender. i have checked the shadeless in blender

The model is always imported with the lighting shader, blender settings != jme settings, its an import process. Just make a j3m file and do this in the j3o.

@simar.i3r said: Choosing the Shadeless in Material settings in blender and exporting the plane as Orge XML. Importing it in jME loads lightening material and not unshaded??

Am I missing something

Using the checkbox in Blender for Shadeless to create the material based off of Unshaded works in the Blender Importer, not Ogre XML. If you have the checkbox marked in the blend file and then convert the blend file to j3o in the sdk, it will create the materials using Unshaded.

Otherwise, you’ll need to create the j3m file and switch it there after the import as @normen says.

@iwgeric said: Using the checkbox in Blender for Shadeless to create the material based off of Unshaded works in the Blender Importer, not Ogre XML. If you have the checkbox marked in the blend file and then convert the blend file to j3o in the sdk, it will create the materials using Unshaded.

Otherwise, you’ll need to create the j3m file and switch it there after the import as @normen says.

Ah! got it
Thanks

Probably the best explanation on how should one choose materials on android for good performance and nice aesthetics. This should become a part of this thread…
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/what-baked-maps-to-assign-to-light-and-glow-map-option-in-unshaded-material/#post-244670