Android game limitations

Hello,

I’ve been doing some development on android and the most troublesome issue I was facing was dealing with the vm heap and making sure of disposing of images properly and not using large images. I had a couple of questions about the memory limitation on android:

• What things should I consider when creating a game targeted at the android platform?
  • What are the size limits for models that will be loaded in the game? or does it depend on the number of verticies?

Thanks

It depends on the target device. In some years they will be as fast as desktops and already you’ll find vast differences in speed. Generally you should just go for simple shadong and fewer vertices and objects in general. So use unshaded.j3md and some lowpoly models.

@oskanaan said: Hello,

I’ve been doing some development on android and the most troublesome issue I was facing was dealing with the vm heap and making sure of disposing of images properly and not using large images. I had a couple of questions about the memory limitation on android:

• What things should I consider when creating a game targeted at the android platform?
  • What are the size limits for models that will be loaded in the game? or does it depend on the number of verticies?

Thanks

Basically consider a device as a 2003 computer with a very basic GPU but quite some nice amount of memory.
Cheat a lot :

• avoid dynamic lighting as far as possible and use baked lighting/shadows for static objects.
  • don’t do complex fullscreen shading, the GPU really sucks.
  • use small scenes with few objects ( around 100 should be the maximum)
  • use fairly low poly model. How much a model can be is very relative because only the total matters, but i’d say never go above a total of 100k polygons.

For texture i found that 1024x1024 is very often enough; if you have something using a big portion of the screen.
The memory can handle it no problem, but…your apk is very likely to grow fast with big asset data,…So it’s a tradeof

1 Like