Android Implementation of jMonkey

You have to implement an alternative renderer, like JOGL and LWJGL, that uses the OpenGL ES libraries that come with android.

I believe Renanse did this as a POC. He did not release code though. It should not be too hard either.

Thank you very much for the input llama. Your information gives me a good starting point to research the information I need to start. Very much appreciated.

http://blog.renanse.com/2007/12/early-android-results.html

llama said:

You have to implement an alternative renderer, like JOGL and LWJGL, that uses the OpenGL ES libraries that come with android.

NO IT IS WRONG! Simply use JOGL 2 and select the good ES profile! Take care of the emulator because it is still buggy, sometimes it complains that it does not support vertex arrays whereas they are really supported on Android cell phones.

Really? You have any link about running JOGL on Android? That'd be pretty cool

llama said:

Really? You have any link about running JOGL on Android? That'd be pretty cool

Android has a Java binding for OpenGL-ES in javax.microedition.khronos.opengles. However, using an EGL profile of JOGL 2 should work.

Yeah, I just said that myself.

So JOGL 2 working on android is more a suspecion than that you've seen it work?

llama said:

Yeah, I just said that myself.

So JOGL 2 working on android is more a suspecion than that you've seen it work?

It should work with a Android J2ME MIDP emulator/converter like J2ME Android Bridge, MicroEmu or Android J2ME MIDP runner but not directly with Android.

In the worst case, there is no need of rewriting a whole renderer, Android OpenGL ES looks like JOGL-ES (it is like a clone), maybe writing a wrapper would be enough. I read a tutorial of Dr. Andrew Davison concerning JOGL-ES and you can check that the both bindings are extremely close. Now, JOGL-ES has been modified (a small refactoring) and put into JOGL 2, that is why in this case, using JOGL has more meaning than using any other OpenGL binding for Java.