Android - Some devices render full black

Hallo

Most of our devices (95%) will render our object like this

http://i40.tinypic.com/35knxau.png

but 1 device (galaxy s2) will render it full black

http://i40.tinypic.com/jpkjup.png

tried on 3 galaxy s2 and only 2 of them did it…

did anyone try something similar?

do they all use the same Android OS version?

from 2.2 to 4.03

but the galaxy which runs it, got 2.36

while the 2 which cannot run it, got 2.34

got another 1 to try it on a galaxy s2 2.33

black still

I had a similar issue with a galaxy S2 with 2.34…but the friend that has it updated to 2.36 and that fixed the issue :(.

So i couldn’t have a chance to test on 2.34 and see what was failing.

I’m running 2.3.4 if you want me to try something.

The problem is 2.33-2.34 is default and u cannot upgrade further with standard tools like kies/samsung update

ive also got 2.3.4

updated one of them to ics 4.03

works now

would still love to hear if any1 know how to fix it by code

there is plenty of people with s2 2.33-2.34

Maybe you’ll have to check the os version and go with unshaded material then, or is this already unshaded?

@normen

What is the right way to switch the material from Lighting to Unshaded when loading a file that originated from Blender? I know how to determine the platform and os version, but how would I use a different material when loading a j3o file?

Open the model in SceneComposer, create a j3m material from its material (in its properties under Geometry/Material) and then copy that j3m file and change it to use the unshaded material definition. Then you can apply the new unshaded material either in code or via the SceneComposer. Actually if you just change the created j3m file for each distribution jar file (keeping its name) it will be loaded like that. Meaning e.g. the j3m in the desktop version is lighted and the j3m for the android version is unshaded. This will later be used more extensively in the SDK to allow easy changing of material “sets” for distributions.

1 Like
@normen said:
Open the model in SceneComposer, create a j3m material from its material (in its properties under Geometry/Material) and then copy that j3m file and change it to use the unshaded material definition. Then you can apply the new unshaded material either in code or via the SceneComposer. Actually if you just change the created j3m file for each distribution jar file (keeping its name) it will be loaded like that. Meaning e.g. the j3m in the desktop version is lighted and the j3m for the android version is unshaded. This will later be used more extensively in the SDK to allow easy changing of material "sets" for distributions.

Thanks. I was hoping there was some magic "changeMaterialType" method like geometry.getMaterial().changeMaterialType(""Common/MatDefs/Misc/Unshaded.j3md") :)

When we update blender and re-export it, would this same process need to redone each time?

No you just use the same j3m file, thats what they are for, saving material information in a separate file.

I share a link for rendering Preferences Settings with fixed your issue.

http://www.3dmax-tutorials.com/idh_pref_rendering_page.html

Please update from SVN as there are some patches to how textures are handled. It might fix the issue.