Animate skeleton programmatically?

I'm a grad student working on a project that will involve animating a 3d skeleton based on data streamed from an optical motion capture system.  I already have working code to parse the incoming data and retrieve joint angles.  I need to create a skeleton that matches the bones present in the mocap data, and drive the position and rotation of each bone based on the mocap data.  It looks like I should be able to use the com.jme.animation.BoneTransform to arbitrarily transform a bone once I have a skinned skeleton loaded. Is this correct? 

Also, what model format is recommended for loading bone/skin data into JME? I model and animate in Blender (though usually not for realtime/game use, so my knowledge of model formats is weak).  I also have access to Max, if necessary, though I'd rather stay in the Blender pipeline if possible.

Any thoughts?

Alterscape said:

It looks like I should be able to use the com.jme.animation.BoneTransform to arbitrarily transform a bone once I have a skinned skeleton loaded. Is this correct? 

Correct.
If you use Collada format, BoneAnimation and BoneTransform are used to animate objects.
or If MD5 format, JointController and TransformMatrix are used.
I think MD5 format is used widely among jme users and more reliable.

MD5 works great… you sould download the MD5 Importer project, look at the tests, it's hell easy…

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=7323.0

Cheers :smiley: