Animated models

Hi there,

I've been searching the forums for the best way to get an animated model in my game. MD5 models seem to be the favorite choice for most of you, so i gave it a try. the problem is that i can't seem te get it to work. I made a simple model in blender. I animated and textured it. the best way to test it seems to be using the model in the MD5Test3 class. When I start the test I get a blank screen. At the bottum of the screen it does say there is a Mesh, but i can't see it.

The mesh, anim and texture file are all in the same directory.

Could someone perhaps share a md5 model which has been tested and should work. Or does someone know what it is that I'm doing wrong.

First of all you sould tell us if you are using MD5 Reader 2 or kman's MD5 Loader.

nah its the shader thing again we really need to put a note on that, a comment(mini tut)  in the test or something

@Ender still not on sourceforge yet will do it soon

mcbeth said:
@Ender still not on sourceforge yet will do it soon

I am sorry, I did not understand what is your nick in sf.net.
mcbeth, I supose. Now I login there and add you, I am sorry.

mcbeth said:
nah its the shader thing again we really need to put a note on that, a comment(mini tut)  in the test or something

Ok, about the shader: we should take the code and resolve this problem someway. Meanwhile we can add some tutorial/explanation about it. I need just some time to do some few things, before we can go on, adding you as a member developer, mcbeth, and upload a more usefull forum in the Web Space offered by sf.net.

@Hugo
Meanwhile go to the http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=3875.0 thread and read it. There you will find the informations you need to make your test working.

afaik its just automated texture loading …"I think… and I mean I think defining a texture state manually and applying it should work

@Ender that guy on sf.net ain't me sorry ://, I've been meaning to do it but I've been more than a bit distracted in recent times things to deal with for work…again sorry. I'll try tonight or tomorrow

to mcbeth

np, mcbeth, I am busy with work too and I am not fast as expected, uploading and setting up things. I should do many things about MD5 Reader 2 (todo list, investigating the code, setup a home page and a forum), but my mind is overwelmed. :smiley:

Anyway with little steps, inch by inch, I will do everything.

Than I wait to know your www.sourceforge.net nick, mcbeth. :slight_smile:

to Hugo

There is also a Cal3D loader made by kman, http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=2982.0, if you want to try it.

It is a great code. I made many tests, all reported in the thread, about the use of the blender2cal3d.py exporter. And finally, I fixed the script to translate coordinates for jME. At the end of the thread you can find a post with the link where to download the blender2cal3d scritp fixed.

NOTE FOR FORUM ADMIN: If i try to reply (with the text I really wrote for this post) I get this error:

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /jmeforum/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.jmonkeyengine.com Port 80

not sure why this has started happening but if you use the word pithon (with a y) it bombs, as if it is trying to execute a pithon (with a y) script.

thx guys for the reply's.

I tried the reader from ender's site.

I will give the Cal3D loader a try. How do I import the cal3d files in jme?

Also encouraging is TestColladaLoading

Decisions decisions…

Which format to go with …

If anyone has a view on a chosen format vs another, pls say - given that Collada is being actively developed by Mojo and renanse, would this be a chosen preferance for JME, after all, models can be converted

Sorry for the OT.

mojomonk said:
not sure why this has started happening but if you use the word pithon (with a y) it bombs, as if it is trying to execute a pithon (with a y) script.

In fact, I used the pithon word (with a "y" in place of the "i", of course). Probably there is some parsing error in the Board system.
theprism said:
If anyone has a view on a chosen format vs another, pls say - given that Collada is being actively developed by Mojo and renanse, would this be a chosen preferance for JME, after all, models can be converted

Collada, as explained somewere by mojo (or maybe renase), is basically an intermediate format, becouse you have the limitation of 1 Node in the same tree for 1 loaded Collada model, and therefore you have to convert it to JME binary format to be able to actually use it for multiple models and multiple instances. While mine MD5 Reader 2 and kman's MD5 and Cal3D Loaders have full support of the model and animation loading from within jME. At least this is what I know. Please correct me if I misunderstood.
Hugo said:
I will give the Cal3D loader a try. How do I import the cal3d files in jme?

First of all download the Cal3D loader from kman's project site, and browse the code. There are some test and examples. Also, you can find some explanation in the kman's project site, about the file descriptor needed to load the various files of Cal3D format.