Animation not working for all bones (makehuman 1.0.1 + blender 2.70a)

OK, I think I’ve figured it out, but I should run more tests. The reason why some joints in MakeHuman models do not animate is because in Blender they are using a rotation mode which is not quaternion. You can set the rotation mode for individual bones by clicking on them then changing from XYZ Euler or whatever. Perhaps MakeHuman does this because they apply some type of constraints. Unfortunately I’m not sure how easy it is to convert .bvh files to use this mode without ruining the animation.

Anyway I think this should be written in the documentation, as I can see this problem coming up in the future.

To import animations successfully, EACH BONE MUST HAVE A ROTATION MODE WHICH IS QUATERNION.

For me it works, including using .bvh files.
I just clear all tranformations form mesh and armature.
If I dont want ogre mesh to have animations appart for each mesh, I join them in blender before exporting.
The only catch for me is that I still have to use blender 6.43 for ogre export with my linux box (just the export).

Does it work when you import the blend file directly into jMonkey (not through the Ogre exporter)? The ogre mesh export is fine for me also, although some of the meshes become strange. For me I have to change the bones that are XYZ Euler to Quaternion before I import the bvh files. Then it works fine.

Also, how are you combining into a single mesh in Blender? I tried do it through Ctrl+J, but then the textures become lost because (as far as I know) a mesh in Blender can only have one texture.

As I said in this same post at thread 16,

So, as you see, I do not need to change XYZ Euler bones. Well, not all .bvh files that I have tryed works, so maybe that is where your actual trouble is, I really don’t know. I use the ones I’ve got frmo CMU site. But when I animate in blender, there is no problem, as long as I don’t use IK.

Direct export to jMonkey does not work for me, if I have animations.

The meshes that I need to join are the eyes and the clothes to the body. The only difficult I have is to do it in the correct order when using the Ctrl + J, I go one by one, I dont remember if the final result goes on the first or the last selected. The selection itself seems to be a little tricky.

In joining the meshes I did not experienced loss of any textures.

Yeah thanks. I know I can export using the Ogre exporter, but it might be useful for people who want to use the blend files directly to know about those settings. At least now we have both the options from MakeHuman models. I’ll try combining the meshes again, I know that the order is important, but I’ll have to check how it affects the textures.

Cheers

I didn’t read it completely but I have it working aswell:

I might have had different bvh Files which always used quaternions but I didn’t have problems with them.

The Problem of only some Parts are Animated is that on Import you have a animationcontrol per Geometry (body, hair, etc) and several skeletons.

You need to join them in blender somhow, or simply trigger them all (But I am currently Researching that, it seems this is causing an extreme CPU Load)

Edit: ogre sucks, they use a constant (my_animation) as animation Name so you can’t have multiple Animations at once.

For me Ogre works great and I can have different animations with custom names @Darkchaos. But I also have seperate AnimControls for every piece of cloth etc.

Really? My ogre exporter uses ‘my_animation’ and I also created a Ticket on their svn for that purpose.

Do you maybe use another Exporter?

The bvh files are no problem, the issue is the armature that MakeHuman produces in Blender. You should be able to do multiple animations in Ogre, just use the Action Editor in Blender to make new ones.

Yeah, use the action editor and always check that everythings named properly in the NLA editor.

I was refering to this: https://bitbucket.org/MindCalamity/blender2ogre/src/4767683c30215c8eed50946ba814676192994fbc/io_export_ogreDotScene.py?at=default#cl-4806

They use my_animation in there, but maybe I just had the wrong source for my exporter plugin.

I am using BlenderImporter though as it shortens my pipeline :slight_smile: