Animations which are not part of a model when loaded

Hi everyone.

I’m at the program design stage, and what I need to do with my models doesn’t seem to fit the “normal” approach.

What I’d like to do is allow my users to create and load their own custom models using MakeHuman, without having to add animations (or interact with Blender in any way).

My program should be able to animate all such models with a common set of built-in “moves”.

The assumption seems to be that all models will be loaded complete with animations, but I’m sure this isn’t necessary. I need much more control over individual bones than this offers, and my users definitely won’t have that skill set!

I know this isn’t the “easy” way, but is there a way to use the Animation classes to achieve this?

Alternatively, if I access the bones in the model directly, would I be able to move them from within my code and get the same (rather impressive) mesh manipulations the JME animation engine produces?

Any clues as to where I’d find the right approach? Even just a pointer to existing threads (there are a lot of them).

BTW, I’m new to JME, but not to 3D programming :wink:

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mark

Check out jme3test.model.anim.TestCustomAnim

More reading, huh?

At least it wasn’t “you’re an idiot, this can’t be done” :wink:

Thanks normen!

The “idiot” part is what people just seem to read into my words. I never say such things.

Always keep in mind that norman (and me) are german, so we are extremly direct compared to other nations.

http://www.expatica.com/de/lifestyle_leisure/lifestyle/why-germans-are-rude-25922.html

1 Like

Hi guys.

The “idiot” comment was entirely in jest!

My thanks are genuine…

No offence was taken or intended.

Thanks again.

Mark

@Empire Phoenix said: Always keep in mind that norman (and me) are german, so we are extremly direct compared to other nations.

http://www.expatica.com/de/lifestyle_leisure/lifestyle/why-germans-are-rude-25922.html

Hehe… Another good article on that topic: What Paddington tells us about German v British manners - BBC News

Some conclusions from the video below are that especially the “pointing out of others mistakes” is less motivated by personal motives but more of a social technique to keep things working. After all problems cannot be solved if they are not verbally addressed.