Any books or video series on JME?

Hi guys, I really like this engine, It is the most high-performance java game engine I have found. I am an intermediate Java user and I can make event based applications in swing and such, but creating games is a whole other challenge. I was wondering if there were any game programming books or video tutorials showing how to put a game together with JME. The tutorials are helpful but I want to learn how to use threads in my games (I know that has nothing to do with JME but If there is something that teaches you everything about game programming using JME that would be useful) Is there such a thing, or will i have to piece it together on my own.

Thanks!

Zach

Well, there is a game tutorial in the works by @zathras, and I believe she’ll be starting for real on that one any day now. It could be helpful if you read through the draft as it stands to see if you notice topics that have high priority to you and otherwise topics that you think should be there but currently are not.

We do have this user-contributed game tutorial which is now a month or two old I believe. I don’t know when it was last tested, and there are quite a few “custom approaches” not really standard to the jME3 workflow in there, so in other words its meant for someone who’s comfortable playing with it independently. It details a game made from beginning to end though, so it can certainly provide some useful pointers.

The one thing I can assure you is that no resource on the planet can teach you “everything about game programming” :stuck_out_tongue:

Hope that helps.

If you’re interested in making smart uses of concurrency, I can’t recommend enough Java Concurrency in Practice. It makes good sense of multi-threading and I think you’ll come away with a confidence about where and where not to make use of this functionality. As it relates to jME, OpenGL is not thread safe. You can look up and down the web, with the occasional success story here and there, but the general consensus is that its a no go. That said, no two applications are the same and there’s no reason you can’t be offloading tasks to other queues freeing up maximum resources for the GL thread…

If you make a video or video series on jME, I’ll personally mail you a banana :slight_smile:

Thanks for the responses guys, I guess the only thing I would need to really learn how to properly use is threading. If I can do that I can put my knowledge together.

sbook said:
If you're interested in making smart uses of concurrency, I can't recommend enough Java Concurrency in Practice. It makes good sense of multi-threading and I think you'll come away with a confidence about where and where not to make use of this functionality. As it relates to jME, OpenGL is not thread safe. You can look up and down the web, with the occasional success story here and there, but the general consensus is that its a no go. That said, no two applications are the same and there's no reason you can't be offloading tasks to other queues freeing up maximum resources for the GL thread..

This comment confused me a bit. Are you saying I should not use threading with JME? What do you mean by OpenGL is not thread safe?

Thanks!

Skye is confused. Don’t listen to him :stuck_out_tongue:

Threading does not have much to do with using jME.

As for the book, it will be great indeed, but there isn’t much demand for it I think (in terms of # of users).

There’s a video series showing off various features of jMP, on jME’s youtube channel, you might be able to learn how to use it from there.

@Momoko_Fan </3

Yes, I could’ve said it more succinctly that once you understand the concepts of currency knowing how to do it in a game vs. in an enterprise database app will utilize the same knowledge :slight_smile:

Thanks guys, I think a good way to learn threading is to take one of my simple C++ games and port it to JME, using threads. The JME wiki is pretty good at explaining the various features I just need to incorporate threads instead of a main loop.