Apple Joins OpenJDK!

I’ve been fairly nervous given Apple’s recent decision to not allow Java apps in their Mac store due to the language’s deprecation in the OS, but I have to say that Apple opening their Java process is much more important to me than selling software via Apple :slight_smile:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/12/apple-joins-openjdk-to-open-source-mac-os-x-java-technology/

And a sigh of relief is breathed throughout Mac land.

Weeee!!! Hopefully this will get their slick Aqua AWT system into the OpenJDK in no time… Yes, my sigh is tuning in, the open projects pretty much failed to implement Aqua support until now… Does this mean we will get a 32bit jVM for 32bit Intel, PPC and Leopard as well? :wink:

This is the part I like best:

Apple also stated that Java SE 6 will continue to be available from Apple for Mac OS X Snow Leopard and the upcoming release of Mac OS X Lion. Java SE 7 and future versions of Java for Mac OS X will be available from Oracle.
normen said:
Weeee!!! Hopefully this will get their slick Aqua AWT system into the OpenJDK in no time.. Yes, my sigh is tuning in, the open projects pretty much failed to implement Aqua support until now.. Does this mean we will get a 32bit jVM for 32bit Intel, PPC and Leopard as well? ;)

Well it sounds like they'll be opening the whole thing up! I'm guessing you mean 32bit Java 6 for the Intel and PPC's? I don't see any reason why not now that it shipped with Snow Leopard..

normen said:This is the part I like best:

What's not to like ;)

Yeah I saw this when I was eating at McDonalds just now! This is great news, hopefully we can also get rid of Oracle in the process hehe but since Apple is now going to be working with them it seems a longshot hehe