(April 2016) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

Nothing special, just an next level of my works with shadows.
Sometimes the light falls at an acute angle to the surface, it results in elongated shadows, even poissondisks edge filtering is visible on some surfaces…

Screen 1: poissondisks only

The trick is to add some noise, the same way it is done with the SSAO…

Screen 2: poissondisks + noise

4 Likes

Is this comming with one of the next alphas? And will there be some good samples how to use?

We are done with 3.1 alphas and are on betas now… and no, this won’t be in 3.1. It’s still experimental but I guess might be merged to master soon. (But master is now 3.2 preprepreprepre-alpha.)

2 Likes

Is there some list of changes from 3.0 → 3.1 that is more consise than a git commit log?

1 Like

Not yet. We want to do it but it takes time. You’d have to go back through the alpha announcements in the mean time as each had a list of high level changes.

In terms of samples, there will be an example showing how to enable in-pass shadows. The good thing is that they are more or less automated… Meaning you toggle it and select which lights should have shadows and it just works.

2 Likes

Spot lights are now working. They help with getting those glamor shots :chimpanzee_wink:
Next is point lights. Saved the hardest part for last … But point light shadows can make for some really good looking shots too. Looking forward to it.

18 Likes

Challenge accepted!

Will this support having shadows that progressively get more blurry as they get further from the object casting them?

1 Like

unlikely, penumbra shadows are cast from area lights, something the core doesn’t yet fully support, there are a handful of solutions to approximate this but @Momoko_Fan’s work is primarily about migrating what is currently a post processor solution, to a forward rendering solution (as far as I can see).

1 Like

Month ago some student asked me for help on a project. I wrote a game but in the end they decided to don’t use it. As the game was developped in Java and was using Graphics to paint itself, i decided to port it to avarra, as a proof of concept. I was not as smooth as i expected but here is the result:

You can download the initial project here.

http://www.filedropper.com/worms

(just for the record : the avarra version is here: http://www.filedropper.com/aworms.
It includes the Ximl.jar that i use in avarra).

sounds effets and worms voices comes from the original worms world party. I don’t plan to do anthing with this “game” other that this “proof of concept” anyway. If copyright owners ask me to remove it i’ll obey but please shhhh, don’t tell them. :slight_smile:
worms, mine, bombe, plane, land, rain, water … is designed by me.
explosion and smoke somes from … well, i don’t remember, i think it’s rpg maker or someting like that.

For the record: problems of the port from swing to avarra was: change the time management (to use the jme main loop) rotation on the Graphics (i still need to improve that anyway), some bugs about images orientation (during the initialization of the game i iterate (once !) over an image to find the ground. With the y axis inverted the physics was broken), the lack of “fill polygon” on my graphics (i still need an algorithm to do that, i.e. transform an array of point into a mesh covering the polygon).
And likely some other bugs, but nothing important.

I also noticed that the jme video recorder doesn’t have sounds and it seems impossible to add this (i gave a look at the code and there is nothing related to audio in the video recorder). So, i used audacity and movie maker to register the sound and merge it to the video.

(and the rendering of the video is not the same as the rendering in game, i need to search why and fix that).

2 Likes
6 Likes
9 Likes

This looks amazing! Kudos!

1 Like

Golem from Skullstone, improved version:

8 Likes

So, only the ships can be seen through the displays? Asteroids and planets are occluded? :chimpanzee_smile:
Great game and assets - what’s the image editor you used for that? Photoshop?
Yesterday my Gimp crashed on a very simple task that my 15 years old proprietary image editor could handle without any problems - so much for the quality of open source software… :chimpanzee_wink:

For the assets I use Photoshop, 3DSMAX and crazybump to tweak the maps. I am also using image based lighting everywhere because in an opened world space game having 1000 lights in a scene is not a good idea. As for the shaders , I have created them from scratch using the shader node system in 3.1. LODs are on every model and I created a custom LOD control that is much smarter and much more optimized than the one we have out of the box. That cool display that only shows the ships through it is a custom shader that I wrote that is model aware. Oh and the server is aware of each player’s camera position and adjusts the packet rate per model based on how far the model is from the player’s camera in real time to save a TON of bandwidth. Interpolation is used on the network layer but I did not need to implement a predictive algorithm because there are no instant hit weapons. The network layer is server authoritative but I have a control on each model that allows you to define what is controlled on the server and what is not. For example, the planets rotating run on the client but the planet orbits run on the server. This control is full featured so that you can tell it whether to run translation and rotation on the server or client and at what tick rate.

WOW that was a long answer lol

3 Likes

Gimp is overrated. I use and always recommend Paint.NET which has a plugin for nearly everything you’d ever need.

2 Likes

but… Paint.NET is not available for linux.

1 Like

Currently the best free paint/texture tool is krita, at least in my opinion and it’s available for Windows, Linux and OSX.

4 Likes