(April 2019) Monthly WIP & Screenshot thread

Sorry about that. I created a PR to revert the changes, please feel free to merger it.

My fantasy tree pack

15 Likes

I got a bit further on my game. After the logging in flow, I started working on character creation.

13 Likes

And of course the wizard has to be named Volo :smiley:

1 Like

Vololo

2 Likes

It’s all fun and games until you have to eat your children.

4 Likes

Today I played around with some 2D physics. Making use of jME and my Dyn4J integration.

16 Likes

Billboard grass, flowers, tree leaves…
Post processing: FXAA.

Performance-wise, works okay.
Since deffered rendering is used, I use screen door transparency (dithering.) What’s left to do is to blur the resultant dither patterns. As can be seen fxaa alone is not enough for the job.

flower power :sunflower: :blossom: :hibiscus:

6 Likes

Since it’s such a problem doing transparency in deffered, why use transparency for simple “cut out” shapes like flowers, grass since they’re not semi-transparent after all.
Well, reason 1: so that the edge is smooth. However then, I remembered of distance field text. No clue why this hasn’t crossed my mind before.

Thus, I converted my images to distance fields, 128x128 for grass, 64x64 for flowers:

As bonus, added a gradient, + outline for flowers.
As before, fxaa for final finish.
[the tree has been left intact for now] :hibiscus:
Next time you’re doing billboards, grass/flowers: don’t forget distance fields are an option.

8 Likes

An Indian guide might help you cross the river. Or he may be just a rip off. Who knows?

7 Likes

Today I spend some time figuring out how to get mixamo models and animations to work in jME.
I implemented a basic controller for character steering and added some physics to the scene.
In this example I placed a few crates on the ground for the character to bump.
As soon as the character reaches his destination it will play one of the standing animations (idle, jump, kick, box, etc.).
When that animation has finished it will choose a new destination to walk or run to.

Here is a little video of the test:

13 Likes

Finally added basic player login service

I decided to not to go with Http and Auth for now.
Client sends a hashed password to server, and server rehash it again with salt and save it to user-db.
At the moment I use a FileUserRepository which is encrypted with password using Java CipherOutputStream. (I may add an SqlUserRepository later if I ever need).

For the next step I am going to add forgot password option, as I am already getting users email on registration, I can use Java Mail API to send them a new temp password.

5 Likes

Send them a link to reset their password. That way passwords are never transferred plain, and will follow your hash flow from client to server as normal.

Good job getting it set up. Its the beginning of a whole new set of tools at your disposal :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, thank you. I was discussing this with my brother right now and he exactly suggested me to do as you said. :slightly_smiling_face:

why so low fps? some kind of limit?

Yes, when developing I limit it to 30 fps (AppSettings.setFrameRate(30);) to save some laptop battery. (It is not precisely locked at 30 fps, for me it runs around 27)

And finally added a dynamic sky

Here is a test video on a PBR landscape.

Thanks from @sgold for his awesome SkyControl library.

6 Likes

Shamelessly ripped Paul’s Lemur propertyPanel to work with JavaFX. Makes life so much easier for debugging.

7 Likes

Would you shamelessly share said code :wink: ?

1 Like

Absolutely as soon as I can get the kids off my pc. They have their own but mine is the best so I get nagged to death. Will probably be tomorrow now. It will give me half an hour to clean it up a little while I’m there.

1 Like