(April 2022) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

Just a short bad quality video, actually two in one, showing what i am working on.

The scene is made of 401 PBR tanks and 1333 moving lights.

The top-left render shows the scene rendered with some sort of “revised” forward singlepass shading that supports unlimited lights (i mean… until the gpu freezes… that kind of unlimited…), it uses a combination of UBOs, buffer subdata updates and some other tricks to scale and shrink to fit all the the lights that are needed.

The bottom-right render shows the scene rendered with tiled deferred shading, not the common type of tiled shading since this implementation uses larger tiles and does the culling on cpu, however performances seem quite decent and, since it doesn’t use compute shaders, it can run on gl3 and gles3, so i am pretty happy with the result (for now).

On the very top of the screens you can see (if you set 720p and squint) an info bar with the data recorded by renderdoc, i don’t have an avg frametime or anything like that, but you can see the framerate count that is ~30 fps at best with forward* and ~60+ with tiled deferred. The test was recorded on an rx580.

Another thing that is not shown in the video: the env probes are rendered at runtime on the gpu pretty much instantly (for very high quality probes the workload can be distributed on multiple frames).

I will release after sorting out some last details.

11 Likes