Are double-sided faces supported by JME?

Title should say all. While working on a 3d model working pipeline i saw that checking “Double sided” into blender isn’t enough to make everyface of the object. Does jmonkey have a support for making some faces of the model or all of it showing without culling any of the face? I know about culling but as far as i know it applies on entire scene and i don’t want it as it slows everything. Otherwise the only solution is to duplicate faces that need to be double sided and flip normals of cloned ones.

http://javadoc.jmonkeyengine.org/com/jme3/material/RenderState.FaceCullMode.html

What normen said will work for unshaded materials. If you want double-sided faces with lighting, you will need to use jME 3.1 with the single pass lighting mode.

1 Like

Did we fix it to flip normals for the backsides of faces?

Edit: or is the presumption that normals are already flipped relative to winding order?

Yes, the normals are flipped in the shader according to the front facing property:

And what if i’m using another shader,like PBRLighting.j3md? Do i have to modify it?

You may need to modify it. Do a search for gl_FrontFacing to see if it uses that information.

1 Like