(August 2017) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

When it’s done you’ll be able to load gltf as any other asset. So I guess there is not much work to include it in the SDK.

1 Like

It will be included into the SDK, yes. However it will only be included when it’s relatively stable since the SDK releases are at a bit slower pace and we can’t push out a version where animation is missing for example.
It would lead to thousands of threads here why it doesn’t work.

1 Like

Implemented a tooltip with image preview for texture files:

@javasabr You know it may be more useful to have the preview as the file icon as well despite how small it may be, like how OSs usually do it.

Mmm, it’s an interesting idea, but I think it will take more performance resources, because tooltip builds preview only when you try to look at in first time…

I havent worked with javafx much, but iv done this in c#. The items should be initialized and displayed, then loaded lazily (and probably asynchronously) when they are in view, and unloaded when they are not. This avoids having 500 images loaded and displayed instantly, and conserves resources, and even limit load sizes by image-filesize addition to say 50mb or w/e.

Edit: Dare i even say it - even a possible use for a parallel stream :o - which would make it nice and simple to abstract the menu system out without going all threadpool overkill.

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/collections/streams/parallelism.html

1 Like

could be done asynchronously - having the icons load on another thread. just an idea.

1 Like

@javasabr what @asser_fahrenholz said. :smiley:

Fuel tanks, truss/residential sections. I’m planning to have some sort of “people” resource eventually where you’ll need a certain amount to operate a station and you’ll need to go to other npc-operated stations to advertise yours and hopefully get some people to apply to move and work there.

Then they should be able to be loaded into your ship’s later-to-be-made passenger modules and then you get destroyed halfway back on route back to your station by a rouge battleship probably. Anyway…

Now one can build something that’s starting to look like a proper station. :wink: No normal maps yet.

Maybe some more interesting stuff: batching debug view (same color is the same geom and the textured objects are excluded from batching because they have bone animations):

Aka, finally figured I really should use a texture atlas for stations :smile:

18 Likes

Looks great!

Is perfect.

Almost got Bone animation working for all sample models.

There are still 2 of them I can’t manage to load properly:
this one:

And this one but even the khronos loader has it wrong so might be an issue with the model itself.

Supposed to look like this
https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF-Sample-Models/blob/master/2.0/WalkingLady/screenshot/screenshot.gif

I think I got the general case working… the one that is not working is IMO the case where you don’t apply transforms to the armature :p.
The specs handle it so I’d like to support it.

26 Likes

That is awesome @nehon.
This is such a cool project you are working on.
I am kind of jealous.

I have to admit it’s fun.

4 Likes

I overworked my shaders and mainly the heightbasedterrain shader to support roughness and metalness in the alpha channel of the diffuse. I aswell changed the blending to have earlier slopes and a controllable slope.

Here a nice side view with cloudy sky and a rock slope with roughness

and a second view:

22 Likes

Is it a minimap down to the right?

Yes it is a minimap. I generate it dynamically after all terrainquads are loaded.

1 Like

Does the minimap have its own Camera object?

Yes the location is dynamically calculated and the camera is orthogonal + i’m using a separate viewport for the minimap.

1 Like

This month I moved my game from Libgdx (2D) to JMonkey (3D), implemented some shaders and published it (still WIP ;), free to play) on itch.io. Here is a screenshot:

15 Likes

What’s the game about?