Automatic VBO?

Wouldn't it be more efficient to have a VBO automatically created for each object, then having to manually set the VBO on for each object?

For static objects this would be helpful, but the VBOInfo does not work with animated objects.

I currently work with a simple function that recursively sets VBOInfo and I run that on branches on the scene tree that contains only static meshes.

Then wouldn't it be safe to have JME see if the object it is applying the VBO on has animation, and if it doesn't, apply the VBO? I am pretty sure that is possible. JME needs to be running as fast as it can get without losing ease of use. I want to get this working to a point where I can match Crysis(or the newest game out) within the next 4 years.

The geometry system of jME needs to be modified to have better support of VBOs and shared geometry data. At this point it is not possible to know if an object is static or animated. The only thing that is close to allowing control over that is setHasDirtyVerticles but it's quite limited in that you are still allowed to access the geometry data and you can't specify which buffer was modified.

Jedimace1 said:

Then wouldn't it be safe to have JME see if the object it is applying the VBO on has animation, and if it doesn't, apply the VBO? I am pretty sure that is possible. JME needs to be running as fast as it can get without losing ease of use. I want to get this working to a point where I can match Crysis(or the newest game out) within the next 4 years.

Are you seriously comparing JME with the engine of Crysis?