Background Image running continuosly

Hi…I am begginer.I just started learning JMonkey.I have a problem that how can i move the background image continuosly.I want to do a small 2d game.Can you please help me to achieve that.

1 Like

Why do you use a 3D game engine to make a 2d game?

because we can have 3d models in gui node :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Note: the gui node flattens depth… so many 3D models won’t render correctly at all.

If you do choose to do 3D models in a 2D view then you are better off setting up your own non-perspective viewport.

@normen said: Why do you use a 3D game engine to make a 2d game?

Because some of us develop both 2d and 3d games and don’t want to use different engines! And… because JME makes for an awesome 2d engine.

As far as I am concerned, JME should be considered a viable option for both. It certainly wouldn’t be the only 3d engine people use for that purpose. There are quite a few 2d games built in Unity using their 2D framework plugin. I have a couple of them on my android and iOS devices.

1 Like
@t0neg0d said: Because some of us develop both 2d and 3d games and don't want to use different engines! And... because JME makes for an awesome 2d engine.

As far as I am concerned, JME should be considered a viable option for both. It certainly wouldn’t be the only 3d engine people use for that purpose. There are quite a few 2d games built in Unity using their 2D framework plugin. I have a couple of them on my android and iOS devices.

Should it? jME is a 3D scene graph at its root, just like in Unity you would not even use the same “engine” for 2D because by its nature the API for 2D drawing would be completely separate from the rest of the engine. What makes jME great for 2D games in your opinion? If you use your tonegod stuff for the 2D part you stay completely within your own API. And that could be based on swing for what its worth… Not saying some 2D functions in jME are a bad thing but if you want to make a 2D game theres 2D game engines that are way better suited.

i think jme is not for continuous 2d moving image

in case of tyrian for example, i’d do something like regular terrain grid, which jme3 have. and camera flying above terrain with fixed altitude. something like starcraft2… its 3d “2d game” :slight_smile:

Thank you for your advice.