Basic Application hangs on "Installing ... onto default emulator or device..."

Hi guys. I’ve wanted to try the android deployment path, but this issue is driving me up a wall.

I’ve been able to successfully install the app once ever blue moon. Most of the time, jME hangs on the “Installing” line as in the title. Does anyone know why? Looking this up yields a variety of issues, but things such as killing and restarting the adb server don’t work for me.

Also, why is the section in a project’s properties labeled “Mobile” in the screenshots for the tutorials whereas in mine it is labeled “Android”.

And is there a reason I can’t select below 4.4.2 as the target version?

@machspeeds said: Hi guys. I've wanted to try the android deployment path, but this issue is driving me up a wall.

I’ve been able to successfully install the app once ever blue moon. Most of the time, jME hangs on the “Installing” line as in the title. Does anyone know why? Looking this up yields a variety of issues, but things such as killing and restarting the adb server don’t work for me.

Also, why is the section in a project’s properties labeled “Mobile” in the screenshots for the tutorials whereas in mine it is labeled “Android”.

And is there a reason I can’t select below 4.4.2 as the target version?

This is likely due to the game still running in the background even though the display has been destroyed. I don’t know if your device provides a task manager or not, but there should be a way to clear these processes.

You can also force this from your Main Activity:

[java]
@Override
public void onDestroy() {
super.onDestroy();
System.runFinalization();
android.os.Process.killProcess(android.os.Process.myPid());
}
[/java]

This will likely resolve the install issue.

As for the Mobile/Android issue… this was renamed a while back and the docs just don’t reflect the change yet. The process described should be the same as before, though. I believe this was updated since iOS deployment became a viable option.

Also try uninstalling the application from the device through the application manager on your device between builds.

Occasionally cleaning and building the project helps

@t0neg0d: Thanks for the tip. However, I still have the issue of hanging on the install. This occurs on a brand new android-configured jME project too, so onDestroy hasn’t even had a chance to occur because the app was never installed in the first place.

@BigBob: I’ve tried uninstalling it as well as cleaning and building before running the project. Nothing doing.

@machspeeds
Forgot to answer your last question… with a … question… muhahahaha

Have you installed more than 4.2.2 through the SDK Manager? All target versions installed should be available in the dropdown list.

Also, what device are you installing on?

Ooh. That could be a boo-boo. I didn’t install any more than that. My problem is that, well, wasn’t the problem I thought, since on the blue moon occasion, it did install, even though the target version was wrong.

And I have an HTC One X (AT&T) running Android 4.1.1 (disappointingly).

@machspeeds said: Ooh. That could be a boo-boo. I didn't install any more than that. My problem is that, well, wasn't the problem I thought, since on the blue moon occasion, it did install, even though the target version was wrong.

And I have an HTC One X (AT&T) running Android 4.1.1 (disappointingly).

Wonder if the 4.2.2 target installing onto 4.1.1 is causing it to hang. Not exactly what I would expect to happen… but it’s possible!

Well, other than the fact that the SDK manager doesn’t have 4.1.1, I installed everything from 4.4.2 down to 4.0.3 (4.4.2, 4.3, 4.2.2, 4.1.2, 4.0.3). Still makes no difference.

Would it help if I told you that it said “BasicGameTemplate(run-android)” and then in the loading bar, it just says “running” , and then the x to quit?

I’ve also read that this is the same process as running the adb install option. Should I be fiddling with something revolving around the adb?