Best way to get maximum performance on a tile map

Hello guys. I’m trying to use the JMonkeyEngine 3 to create a simple pseudo-isometric game. To begin, I have a conceptual question:

How should I implement the tile-map? For example a code snippet:

public void simpleInitApp() {
        int w =settings.getWidth();
        int h =settings.getHeight();

this.flyCam.setEnabled(false);
        this.cam.setLocation(new Vector3f(w/2, h/2, 580));

//-------------------------
        Material m = new Material(assetManager,
                "Common/MatDefs/Misc/Unshaded.j3md");
        m.setColor("Color", ColorRGBA.Blue);

for (int x = 0; x < w/32; x++) {
            for (int y = 0; y < h/32; y++) {
                Quad q = new Quad(32,32);
                Geometry g = new Geometry("Map", q);
                g.setLocalTranslation(x*32, y*32, 0);
                g.setMaterial(m);
                rootNode.attachChild(g);
            }
        }
    }

Will get me around 3,6k FPS. While this is decent, I only want it to use to show the contrast. If I change the last doubled for loop, which will create 32x32 tiles on my whole screen, with a single mesh like that:

Quad q = new Quad(32*w, 32*h);
Geometry g = new Geometry("Map",q);
g.setMaterial(m);
rootNode.attachChild(g);

I will get more than 6,8k FPS. Nearly the double amout, altough I’m using just one material. In the final game all tile-textures will able to match into a single texture/texture-atlas, so one material for all is realistic for now. Now to my question: Is it better to use one mesh instead of many small ones? Or has JMonkey a special feature to handle those snippets?

For ease of answering: The map-data is delivered in runtime from a server-app. in stripes of tiles (1xN tiles). Therefore creating chunk-based textures for bigger meshes seems hard to me.

I hope my question was understandable, although my english is extremely rusty.

Edit: After finding the tutorials on the texture atlas, I saw that this one can create a geometry using one texture. that would suit my needs if I can add and remove geometry dynamically, i think (?)

The tradeoff is this: Many smaller meshes results in many draw calls to the GPU. This is much slower than letting the GPU draw a single mesh with many triangles. Draw calls cost performance, number of triangles not so much.
However, the fastest triangles are always those that are not drawn at all. So if your mesh becomes so big the CPU can not cull anything then all triangles must be drawn every frame. You must find a balance between large meshes and cutting up the world in chunks that the CPU can quickly calculate should not be drawn at all.

Also, you only need 60 FPS (or maybe 144 depending on your use case) so I don’t really see the problem :slight_smile: