BetterCharacterControl incorrectly reporting being off of the ground

I LOVE the new BetterCharacterControl. I like how much smoother the movement is, and the fact that forces now affect it. That’s awesome. But, it seems like it’s not doing a good job of checking if the player is on the ground or not. The JavaDoc says it uses Ray casting to detect whether or not the player is on the ground, so maybe it would be a good idea to add a method like “setGroundCheckDistance(float distance)” to change how far that ray checks for the ground, because in some cases (like on a slope) the bottom of the capsule may be further off the ground than the rest. Just a thought. Outside of that, I really like the new control.

Yeah, I planned to add an option for the “overshoot” (which is FastMath.Min_Tolerance or whatsisname atm) and also debounce the jumping so that you can’t jump twice within a few frames as else its too easy to get crazy jump force by just spamming the jump button. Thats why its just the default atm.
The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there’s emotes that hint otherwise or there’s an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

1 Like

I noticed that. If I press space a lot, or hold it, a lot of the time I’ll end up shooting into the air. Also, there’s no more getPhysicsLocation() method. I had to modify some code a bit to work around this.

@vinexgames said: I noticed that. If I press space a lot, or hold it, a lot of the time I'll end up shooting into the air. Also, there's no more getPhysicsLocation() method. I had to modify some code a bit to work around this.
You don't have to modify anything, just use the spatial location. The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there's emotes that hint otherwise or there's an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

I know, I meant that a few of my classes were using .getPhysicsLocation() and I had to modify them when I switched to the BetterCharacterControl.

@vinexgames said: I know, I meant that a few of my classes were using .getPhysicsLocation() and I had to modify them when I switched to the BetterCharacterControl.
Ah, right. The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there's emotes that hint otherwise or there's an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.