Big War Terrain

Hello people,

I am creating a first person shooter game and ofcourse I need to make maps for it. So, this is what I want basically: Most of you guys know the game Battlefield 3, and the huge maps in it. Now, I don’t want maps that are as big as they are in Battlefield 3, but atleast very big for good sniping range and stuff, because it will mainly be a sniper game. So, I want to have big hills and stuff and high grass and trees all over the place. And now comes my question: How do I start with creating this terrain, what is the best way? Creating a huge map in Blender, which is probably going to cause problems with a big loaded model and stuff. So if someone can help me out with this, I would really appreciate it. Personally I was thinking of creating a heightmap and make a couple of tree models myself and a billboard grass thingy and plonk a shit ton of them around. But you guys, with way more experience than me, have probably a better idea of doing this type of thing.

Kind regards!

Do forum searches on likely keywords (For example Terrain, Terrain Grid, Endless Terrain, Pagination, trees, etc) and you will find masses of information to get you started.

I already found a lot on the forum, but I couldn’t find a good way of using it. If I just start making a map in the terrain editor, I don’t really know what to expect from the quality and stuff.

@LostWarrior said: I already found a lot on the forum, but I couldn't find a good way of using it. If I just start making a map in the terrain editor, I don't really know what to expect from the quality and stuff.

This is not an easy topic to jump into for the first time. If the terrain editor is not doing what you want and the existing information on terrain paging is not enough to get your started then you may want to set your sights on a simpler game. Get a handle on all of the other (harder) parts of a game before jumping into terrain paging… by then terrain paging will seem pretty easy.