Black Angel Dies: my first attempt using jME

Hi to all, this is my little first attempt using jMonkey, the best engine I’ve ever tried!

I’m trying to make a game in the style of Devil May Cry 1.

To learn the basics of jME, I’ve decided to build a little Mesh/Texture Loader to see how my models would look like once loaded inside of JMonkey.

I’m planning to implement new features on my Loader like loading/unloading of GLSL shaders and viewing animations.

Here are two screenshots of an archway I’ve modeled using Luxology Modo and textured in Photoshop.

I hope to post new screenshots as soon as I can if there will be anyone interested.

Thanks to all the JMonkey developers!!!

Looking forward to see what you come up with! Keep up the good work…  8)

Love the style :slight_smile: look forward to more screen shots

Thanks so much for your encouraging replies!! 8)

I’m currently working on one of the floor of the big tower where I intend to set the entire game.

The idea is simple: there’s this huge tower (who will look like a tree) and every floor will be like a level of the game.

Here’s a screenshots of the floor:

It’s not textured yet cause I still have to finish the model but I hope you’ll like it.

Hope to post more news as soon as I can and thanks again for your interest.

Just a little update. The entire model with texture loaded inside Jmonkey.

Surely the material has to be tweaked.

quite some verts there. Does the bounding box come out right?

Here’s a screenshot of the boundingbox around the model:

For what I’ve understood I see no problems cause the bounding box completely surrounds the model but maybe the problem was another so please if you refer to something else or if you see some problem just let me know.

If you are going to have the same pattern repeat again an again, I would recommend two things… first, split your model into several smaller units (like your arch) so that culling would be able to skip some parts when you are not seeing the whole circle… second, use some sort of geometry cloning (search the forums for code) to create your circle, it will save a lot in performance.

i like the idea of having an unlimited high tower in my game. i think i'll steal your idea :slight_smile:

duenez said:

If you are going to have the same pattern repeat again an again, I would recommend two things... first, split your model into several smaller units (like your arch) so that culling would be able to skip some parts when you are not seeing the whole circle... second, use some sort of geometry cloning (search the forums for code) to create your circle, it will save a lot in performance.

Hi duenez, I'm trying to do as you 've suggested. I'm splitting the model and then I've tried to search for a way for cloning models. I've found two ways: the SharedNode way and the CloneCreator way but to be honest I didn't get which is the difference between them.
Now I'm working on SharedNode cause it seems easier to my eyes but maybe I'm wrong.

HamsterofDeath said:

i like the idea of having an unlimited high tower in my game. i think i'll steal your idea :)

;) good to hear you liked my idea. It came up when I was playing to Devil May Cry 3 and there's this huge tower at the beginning of the game.

in nebulus, the tower is not unlimited, and in icy tower, the end is unreachable. noobs. my tower will be unlimited and have a top and bottom.

ontopic: you might want to use imposter nodes for far away levels to improve performance.

Just a little update of my work at Black Angel. This time I’ve built a stariway and then loaded inside my ModelLoader.

Fantastic!..I wish you were in my team  :’(

Again, I think you have way too many triangles, you should watch out for that, because otherwise you might have to later on change all your models.

It looks pretty though.  :smiley:

Hey elettrozero sei italiano? grazie per i complimenti! Io per ora sto cercando di metterne uno su di team ma per ora siamo solo in 2. Magari chiss