Blender to jme workflow. I keep losing animations

Greetings all.

I’m confused about animations. I can get them working in game using the action editor and then freezing them in the NLA editor, but what is this process about? Once frozen can I not edit them again? Unsure, I’ve been keeping a separate blend file, having to go through the process of freezing all the tracks every time I make an edit. That seems like I’m doing something wrong.

Another problem I’ve had is that I’ll load my animations, freeze them and save as a separate file name and try things in game etc. When I come back to my original blend file, one of the animations has just disappeared completely from the action editor datablock, never to be seen again.

I know all my issues are from lack of knowledge as I’m new to 3D modelling, blender and JMonkey but I would appreciate some help.

Thanks.

Yeah thats correct, you have to bake your data. jME isn’t blender and cannot know what blender does with its metadata to create the actual data :slight_smile: The blender importer tries to do that but not everything can be supported. For that issue you have with blender, never had that personally, gotta be something you do or your blender version.

Ah well thanks for the confirmation. It’s not too big of a pain.

As for the disappearing animations, I’m using Blender 2.63 and I’ll just have to try some tests, see if I can lock down where/why it’s happening.

Thanks again.

My problem with disappearing animations was due to not clicking the tiny F button in the datablock control. It ensures the animations are saved.

With that working, my animations don’t get removed from the action editor and it makes a lot more sense!

Thanks normen.

1 Like
@ctwildgoose said:
Another problem I've had is that I'll load my animations, freeze them and save as a separate file name and try things in game etc. When I come back to my original blend file, one of the animations has just disappeared completely from the action editor datablock, never to be seen again.

Oh yeah i had that once, and lost 5 anims i just did.
Actually blender does not save animations (or any other data btw) that are not used in the scene. The action editor apply the current anim to the rig and all the others are not applied if you save and close like that all the other anims are not saved. Close and re open and they are gone.
What you have to do is to click on the "F" button next to the name of the animation. The tooltip is "save this datablock even if it has no user".
Then you anim will be saved what eve happen.

Edit : uh didn't read your last post....

For the NLA thing, make sure the anims don't overlap and it shoudl work. But yeah you have to go again through this step each time you want to modify an anim and export again....that's a bit painful.
I have great hopes in the blender loader on that matter tbh