Blendswap Arcade 19.05-27.05 - It has begun!

Hello monkeys! Are the rules clear? Then here we go!

Here’s your model:

Alternative download link:

I wanted to make a proper AssetPack of it to save everyone some time, but fell short of time myself (I chose a different model first but that one turned out to be too much of a fixer-upper for my abilities). Might be able to get it done today or tomorrow.

Note: The texture might not get properly imported, and you end up with a white, black & green scene. However, this is all you need to get started on the gameplay for the scene, so I suggest you leave it at that while I try find someone to help me set up a working AssetPack.

Submission deadline is 04:00 (am) GMT+0, May 27.. I extended it by one day due to my model hickup.

That’s 04:00 at night for most Europeans. So get your submissions in at daytime, or you risk messing it up completely.
It’s around midnight for the Americans, and might be past midnight for some, so make sure you check that link and make careful note of the submission date adjusted to your timezone.

7 Likes

Hi, wow…
This is an interesting scene.
I think these next 2 days I will just have to think around this scene and try to come up with an exiting game concept.
It is not as easy as I thought.

Good luck too all contestants.

And remember to enjoy!

1 Like

Nice Finally it started =D . Just to be clear I have a question, am I allowed to use other models from blend swap? I read the instructions HERE and it said that

You may use or even make other assets
does it mean I can use other asset from JME or any other place?

Thanks and best of luck to everyone who are participating . =D

K Out!

@kamran said: Nice Finally it started =D . Just to be clear I have a question, am I allowed to use other models from blend swap? I read the instructions HERE and it said that does it mean I can use other asset from JME or any other place?

Thanks and best of luck to everyone who are participating . =D

K Out!

You can use other assets but your “game world” must be that scene that he provided. You can add things to it (new balcony, etc.) but NOT entirely new buildings and so on.

…at least that’s my understanding based on an earlier conversation.

Q: Are we allowed to touch up the model blender/whatever? Erlend: yes, as long as you don't extend its established confines Erlend: i.e. you can add a balcony, but you can't add a bridge to a new building, or a road extending outwards from the given plane
2 Likes

thanks for the info pspeed. =D

Hi there,
Okay I don’t want to be rude but for some reason this model is not really that nice.
It is not jME friendly.
I am struggling to get it to show correctly in jME.
Now this might be that it is part of the exercise to get the model to work with jME or it is really not a nice model.

Please assist where can?

Thanks

Oops sorry, I just read the first part of this forum entry in more detail.
Sorry for that, I will wait for the assetpack.

In my opinion, the contest shouldn’t have even really started until the model was available in ready-to-use form… so perhaps there can be some deadline shifting depending on how long it takes?

I’m usually able to change Blender models before import to jME.
For some models quite a lot of work needed, but almost always possible.

Question: What’s better: Ogre export/import or direct Blender import?

Not to make more confusion, but I was considering different ideas for games then opened the model to find there is no interior floors… I was also wanting to section the model to make parts transparent at certain views.

Is it okay to modify the mesh to accommodate the use of the interior of the model?
Is it okay to modify the mesh to accommodate cutaways?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Yeah, is modeling the interior considered a “balcony” or a “bridge” ? :wink:

Here’s another one:
These houses could stand along other houses and roads, but the player not being allowed to walk there (gameplay restricted to the square place and the house). Is this still a “balcony” or already a “bridge”? :slight_smile:

Eager to start… :slight_smile:

I think adding interiors still follows the nature of the contest.

The point being that you can’t make a whole city of other stuff and just have this building sitting off in the corner. The building has to be the center piece and the boundary of the world. I’ll let Erlend clarify for sure but that was my guess.

Though I think the spirit was to get everyone started with a mostly complete scene so that they could concentrate on the next parts.

1 Like
@pspeed said: The point being that you can't make a whole city of other stuff and just have this building sitting off in the corner. The building has to be the center piece and the boundary of the world. I'll let Erlend clarify for sure but that was my guess.
That mean that I can add quad as a ground, skybox and tree or two ? Gameplay still inside this building.
@SQLek said: That mean that I can add quad as a ground, skybox and tree or two ? Gameplay still inside this building.
Yep... just needs to keep gameplay bound to the area of the model.

Guys I’ve found a solution (dunno if it’s the best one) to the texture’s problem. What I did was in Blender went to the U/V Image Editor view and for each image in there, go to image > save Copy. this will save the file as .tga
Then, you export the .blend file as .OBJ and import it with jMonkey, the engine will ask for the .tga files that the model needs. Just select for each file the right one, and it should work.
Actually you don’t need to export each .tga, file. I just did it for all files when I started.
EDIT: It works, but not 100% so this would be temporary. The floor tiles aren’t showing up. But at least it ain’t black & white.

I know how to fix model :smiley: Give me one-two hours and j3o/png will be ready.

snapshot10

@nehon has also had some luck simplifying the model. I’ve seen pictures and it looks nice so far.

1 Like

I have done, but i’m waiting for upload.
snapshot11

–edit-- …still not, second texture on walls not loading :frowning:

–edit2-- Tower.zip

2 Likes
@SQLek said: I have done, but i'm waiting for upload. snapshot11

–edit-- …still not, second texture on walls not loading :frowning:

–edit2-- Tower.zip

aahh you beat me to it! =D . Any way here is how my fix looks.

K Out!

1 Like

This is idea! Rebuilding this into scene :smiley: Thanks!

1 Like